|Sebae Clownfish, Amphiprion sebae|
The sebae clownfish, Amphiprion sebae, is a very rare clownfish found in the northern Indian Ocean, which includes India, Sri Lanka, and the Maldive Islands. They can be very aggressive as they get older, like all damselfish. They can grow to 12 cm (4.7 inches). Clownfish are the most popular species to aquarists. They are the most sought after marine fish. These groups of organisms are classified in a hierarchy and are hermaphrodites. The biggest fish becomes the female and the second biggest becomes the dominant male. The remaining fish are juveniles. This species eat large varieties of meat and vegetable based foods.
In the aquarium
They are recommended for first time marine tank owners. When kept in an aquarium a minimum of 20 gallons of water is recommended.
A study using estuarine water was done to look at captive breeding and larval rearing of the species Amphiprion sebae. The male starts courting the female a week before they spawn. The male initiates maintenance of the site chosen for habitation. The female enters the nest to lay her eggs. About 300 to 600 eggs are laid. The males usually guard the eggs, which hatch after six to eight days. The yolk sac of the larvae was small. Between the third and fourth day they fed and their body shape changed. On days fifteen to eighteen in their life cycle they enter metamorphosis. 
- Ignatius et al. 2001. "SPAWNING AND LARVAL REARING TECHNIQUE FOR TROPICAL CLOWN FISH AMPHIPRION SEBAE UNDER CAPTIVE CONDITION.", J. Aqua. Trop, Vol 16:241-249.
- Kumar et al. “Studies on captive breeding and larval rearing of clownfish [a^1], Amphiprion sebae (Bleeker,1853) using estuarine water|accessdate”, Indian Journal of Marine Sciences Vol 39:114-119=12 November 2012
- "Amphiprion sebae". Integrated Taxonomic Information System. Retrieved 15 February 2006.
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2006). "Amphiprion sebae" in FishBase. 2 2006 version.
- Animal World's Information on the Sebae Clownfish
|This Pomacentridae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|