Stan in 2007
August 13, 1983
Sebastian Stan (born August 13, 1983) is a Romania-born, New York-raised actor. He played Jefferson the Mad Hatter on the television drama Once Upon a Time, Prince Jack Benjamin on Kings and Carter Baizen on Gossip Girl. He appeared in the films Captain America: The First Avenger and Black Swan.
Early life 
Stan was born in the Romanian city of Constanţa. At age 8, he and his mother moved to Vienna, where she was employed as a pianist. Four years later (at age 12), he moved with his mother to Rockland County, New York after she married an American, the headmaster of a private academy.
During Stan's years at the Rockland Country Day School, he starred in productions such as Harvey, Cyrano de Bergerac, Little Shop of Horrors, Over Here!, and West Side Story. He also attended the Stagedoor Manor summer camp where he was introduced to acting and was cast in many camp productions. It was then that he decided to take acting seriously and began to apply for acting programs at several universities. He was accepted to and attended Rutgers University's Mason Gross School of the Arts. This gave him the opportunity to spend a year abroad studying acting at Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in London, England.
Television and film career 
In 2010, he appeared in Darren Aronofsky's ballet thriller, Black Swan. Stan also began filming the supernatural horror film The Apparition in February of that year; the film was released on August 24, 2012.
Stan played Blaine, the main antagonist of Hot Tub Time Machine in March 2010. Later that same year, he played Bucky in the film Captain America: The First Avenger, based on the Marvel Comics character. Stan will reprise the role in the sequel.
In 2012, he starred in the thriller Gone and began a recurring role on Once Upon a Time as the Mad Hatter. AV Club described his work in "Hat Trick", his premier episode, as "excellent" and placed the episode in their list of the 30 best episodes of 2012 from series which did not make their top list. He also appeared in the USA miniseries Political Animals as the troubled gay son of the former first lady.
In 2013, Stan played the role of Hal Carter in the Roundabout Theater Company's production of William Inge's "Picnic," at the American Airlines Theater in New York, which featured his "exceptionally well-developed torso" in a production of the play which "highlights the role of prettiness as both a burden and an aspiration."
- 2004 Tony n' Tina's Wedding, as Johnny
- 2005 Red Doors, as Simon
- 2006 The Architect, as Martin Waters
- 2006 The Covenant, as Chase Collins
- 2007 The Education of Charlie Banks, as Leo
- 2008 Rachel Getting Married, as Walter/Bowtie Party Guest
- 2009 Spread, as Harry|
- 2010 Black Swan, as Andrew
- 2010 Hot Tub Time Machine, as Blaine
- 2011 Captain America: The First Avenger, as James "Bucky" Barnes
- 2012 Gone, as Billy
- 2012 The Apparition, as Ben
- In production, A View from the Bridge
- 2013 Famous as Charlie Baxter
- 2014 Captain America: The Winter Soldier, as James "Bucky" Barnes / Winter Soldier
- 2003 Law & Order (1 episode), as Justin Capshaw
- 2007–2010 Gossip Girl (11 episodes), as Carter Baizen
- 2009 Kings (12 episodes), as Prince Jack Benjamin
- 2012 Labyrinth as Will Franklin
- 2012–present Once Upon a Time as The Mad Hatter/Jefferson
- 2012 Political Animals, as Thomas Hammond
Music videos 
- 2008: Hayden Panettiere - "Wake Up Call"
- Talk Radio on Broadway
- Fresh Face: Sebastian Stan
- Aronofsky's Black Swan Cast Expands by One
- Two More Catch a Glimpse of Dark Castle's 'Apparition'
- Graser, Marc (2012-07-16). "Mackie mulls Falcon in 'Captain America'". Variety. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- "Beyond the top 30: Our favorite episodes of shows that didn’t make the cut, part one". AV Club. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
- Brantley, Ben (14 January 2013). "THEATER REVIEW; ‘Picnic’ at American Airlines Theater". The New York Times. Retrieved 15 January 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Sebastian Stan|