|The Secret Millionaire|
Title card from series 10 (UK)
|Created by||RDF Media|
|Narrated by||John Lester|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||10 in UK; 3 in US; 2 in AU; 2 in IE|
|No. of episodes||67 in UK; 14 in US; 10 in AU (+ 2 unaired); 8 in IE (List of episodes)|
|Running time||approx. 48 min. (per episode)|
|Original channel||Channel 4 (UK)
Nine Network (Australia)
|Original run||29 November 2006– present|
The Secret Millionaire is a reality television show which originated in the UK, in which millionaires go incognito into impoverished communities and agree to give away tens of thousands of pounds (or tens of thousands of dollars in the US version). Members of the community are told the cameras are present to film a documentary. The UK version is produced by production company RDF Media. It first aired in 2006 on Channel 4, with further series in subsequent years.
In each episode, a millionaire leaves his/her luxurious life behind, takes on a secret identity and lives undercover in a deprived area of the country for a week to ten days (in the US version, it is 6 days). Living on a limited budget with no modern conveniences they must forge their own way in the community – working and volunteering alongside the locals and finding individuals or projects whom they think deserve a cut of their fortune. On their final day, the millionaires come clean and reveal their true identity to the people they have chosen, surprising them with gifts of thousands of pounds or US dollars to improve their lives.
UK version 
The first millionaire to appear in the series was 26 year-old Ben Way. The second millionaire, William Du, declined airing in season two. A third series of the show began on Channel 4 on 5 August 2008. The first episode of Series 3 featured businessman James Benamor, who has been criticised in the media for investing in the sub-prime market, and sharp practice in his company the Richmond Group.
Andrew Feldman was the youngest millionaire to appear on the show at the age of 24 in the final episode of series 10 shown on 24 June 2012 and made the second largest donation a single charity had received of £100,000 to Little Heroes; a charity that supports children with cancer.
US version 
Like the British version, the Fox show features wealthy benefactors each week that go undercover in the most deprived neighbourhoods of the United States. For one week, the millionaires mingle within the community and live on a very low-cost budget; this the very first time doing so for many of them. At the end of the show, the millionaires reveal their identities and proceed to donate a minimum of $100,000 (which they sometimes divide among the recipients).
Fox has aired six episodes of the hour-long series, including a two-hour premiere. The millionaires have included Internet Advertising tycoon Gurbaksh Chahal; Todd and Gwen Graves, of the restaurant chain Raising Cane's; Century Software founder Gregory Haerr; DUB Magazine founders Myles and Cynthia Kovacs; attorney, broker and sportswear entrepreneur Gregory Ruzicka, and his son Cole; and Baltimore, Maryland civic leader and Baltimore Ravens NFL cheerleader Molly Shattuck.
Season one aired on FOX. Season two consists of six hour-long episodes broadcast on ABC.
Australian version 
The first season of the Australian series (listed in local TV guides as The Secret Millionaire Australia, to prevent confusion with the US version which had been broadcast earlier that year) aired in 2009 on the Nine Network. It consisted of five episodes, and was narrated by Russell Crowe; in a Herald Sun interview, Crowe discussed his work on the show and his personal approach to charity. Millionaires featured in the series included Albert Bertini (of property development firm Trivest), Derek Leddie (founder of market research firm The Leading Edge), Peter Bond (managing director of Linc Energy), Naomi Simson (founder & CEO of Red Balloon), and Danny Wallis (founder of DWS Advanced Business Solutions). A completed sixth episode was withdrawn from the broadcast schedule due to financial issues faced by the featured benefactor. More than $750,000 was given away in grants to individuals and community groups.
Season 2 first aired on Nine on Monday 23 August 2010, also narrated by Russell Crowe. Millionaires featured in the second series include Carly Crutchfield (founder/CEO of CCorp), Karl Redenbach (founder of nSynergy), Sean Ashby (founder of aussieBum), Alf & Nadia Taylor (founders/directors of TNA Solutions), Christian Beck (founder/CEO of LEAP Legal Software), and Denis McFadden (founder/CEO of Just Cuts). Episode 1 benefactor, Sydney property developer Carly Crutchfield, was the focus of a Sydney Morning Herald article discussing the return of the series. Episode 3 benefactor, Sean Ashby, was featured in an article in The Daily Telegraph regarding his involvement in the show.
Season 1: 2009 
|Episode 1||7 October 2009||Albert Bertini|
|Episode 2||14 October 2009||Peter Bond|
|Episode 3||21 October 2009||Derek Laddie|
|Episode 4||28 October 2009||Naomi Simson|
|Episode 5||5 November 2009||Danny Wallis|
|Episode 6||Unaired||Leanne Wesche|
Season 2: 2010 
|Episode 1||23 August 2010||Carly Crutchfield||$120,000|
|Episode 2||30 August 2010||Karl Redenbach||$106,000 + job offer|
|Episode 3||6 September 2010||Sean Ashby||$195,000|
|Episode 4||13 September 2010||Alf & Nadia Taylor||$250,000|
|Episode 5||20 September 2010||Christian Beck||$107,000 + car|
|Episode 6||Unaired, via FixPlay||Denis McFadden||$110,000|
Irish version 
Annual series are produced by RTÉ since 2011 and are shown on RTÉ1 in September and October. During the year, repeats of the series have been shown on Channel 4 as Secret Millionaire Ireland.
Series 1: 2011 
|Episode 1||19 September 2011||John Concannon||Dublin, Co. Dublin||€40,000|
|Episode 2||26 September 2011||John Fitzpatrick||Dundalk, Co. Louth||€37,000 + singing lessons|
|Episode 3||3 October 2011||Nadim Sadek||Shandon, Co. Cork||€40,000|
Series 2: 2012 
|Episode 1||10 September 2012||Jim Breen||Finglas, Co. Dublin||€42,000 + An Allotment|
|Episode 2||17 September 2012||Ramona Nicholas||Galway, Co. Galway||€41,000|
|Episode 3||24 September 2012||Richard Mulcahy||Ballinacurra Weston, Co. Limerick||€10,000 + His time, experience and help taking a charity to national audience + New Mini-Bus|
|Episode 4||1 October 2012||Vincent Cleary||Waterford, Co. Waterford||€15,000 + €3,000 + €15,000 + €7,000|
|Secret Millionaire Revisited||8 October 2012||Series 1 millionaires||N/A|
Secret Millionaire won the award for the best "Docu Soap" at the National Reality TV Awards for series 10 in August 2012.
See also 
- The Millionaire, a fictional 1955–1960 TV series about a millionaire who gives away money.
- "Millionaire accused of loan scam". BBC News. 23 October 2008. Retrieved 8 July 2009.
- Griffiths, Kathie. "TV show’s £153k charity cash gift". Telegraph & Argus. Retrieved 26 June.
- Reality TV World: "Fox announces the identities of 'Secret Millionaires rich participants" by Christopher Rocchio, 5 November 2008
- http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/television/news/e3i050aed23d9fdf6b3f28935326016bba5. Missing or empty
- "Russell Crowe explains why he's happy to be involved in The Secret Millionaire". 2009. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Meet the Secret Millionaires". 2009. Retrieved 27 August 2010.
- "Business woman of year Leanne Wesche faces bankruptcy". 2009. Retrieved 27 August 2010.
- "Secret Millionaire Australia". channelnine.ninemsn.com.au. 2009. Retrieved 13 January 2010.
- "The Secret Millionaire returns". 2010. Retrieved 27 August 2010.
- Kalina, Paul (19 August 2010). "Millionaire cashes a big reality cheque". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 27 August 2010.
- "Millionaire aussieBum owner Sean Ashby knows money's not everything". 2010. Retrieved 11 September 2010.
- Rose d'Or Festival 2007 Winners
- Video clips at Channel 4
- Secret Millionaire at Fox
- The Secret Millionaire at ninemsn
- Secret Millionaire Trailer at Fox (Viewable in the US only)
- Yahoo! News article on U.S. premiere
- Secret Millionaire (UK) at the Internet Movie Database
- Secret Millionaire (US) at the Internet Movie Database
- Secret Millionaire on ABC Season 2
- Secret Millionaire on ABC Season 2 with America's Favorite Millionaire, Dani Johnson
- Information About The Secret Millionaire TV Show Premiering 6 March on ABC