|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||12|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||September 21, 2012– December 8, 2013|
Secret Princes is an American reality television series that premiered on TLC on September 21, 2012. It chronicles the adventures of several members of international nobility as they leave their home countries to live, work and look for love in America. In addition, to guarantee that they are loved for their true selves and not for their wealth or status, they go undercover as ordinary locals in Atlanta, Georgia during the first season and in Austin, Texas during the second season. Season 2 premiered on TLC on October 25, 2013.
Production crews follow participants as they embark on a journey to achieve their fairytale romance while embracing American culture in the United States. During their pursuit of love, they are forced to leave their servants behind and learn to cook, clean and shop for themselves. They accomplish this by taking menial jobs such as busboys, waiters and dog groomers. Even more revealing is their struggle to adapt to the American working culture. They take these measures in order to fit in and find the perfect woman for each of them.
- Francisco de Borbón y von Hardenberg (b. 1979). Resides in Madrid, Spain. Direct descendent of Spanish and French royalty of the House of Bourbon. He is the only son of the 5th Duke of Seville, who is a Grandee of Spain and a relative of the current King, Felipe VI of Spain. Francisco's ancestor, the 1st Duke of Seville, was the grandson of King Charles IV of Spain, who descended from King Louis XIV of France. Francisco's mother is Countess Beatrice of Hardenberg. She is the daughter of Princess Maria Josepha of Fürstenberg and Count Günther of Hardenberg, whose family tree includes Prince Karl August von Hardenberg, a prime minister of Prussia. Francisco attended The American School of Madrid and then Barry University in Miami Shores, Florida, where he studied business and sports management. Francisco is an entrepreneur who travels frequently. He is involved with ASAP Group S.L., a company that specializes in sports marketing and media projects, with offices in Madrid and Miami. Francisco is an animal lover and has a dog named Snifferson. In this television series, Francisco used the undercover name "Cisco". He met a single mother named Camille Morone. They went to the zoo and had a romantic picnic before he decided to invite her to the ball and reveal his pedigree. She joined him in Spain, where she met his mother. The couple decided that they wanted to see each other again.
- Salauddin Babi of Balasinor (b. 1979). Resides in Gujarat, India. He is the only son of Muhammad Salabat Khan, the current Nawab of the former princely state of Balasinor in India. Salauddin has the title of Nawabzada of Balasinor, and he was educated at the Rajkumar College, Rajkot. His family's home is the Garden Palace in Balasinor, which was built in 1883 and contains around 70 rooms. In this television series, Salauddin used the undercover name "Sal". He chose a lawyer named Alison Langley and took her to India after disclosing his identity, but she decided not to continue their relationship. His parents have begun the arranged marriage process.
- Robert Jonathan Walters, Lord of the Manor of Fullwood (b. 1982). Resides in London, England. He is routinely described as 'Lord Robert Walters' throughout the series, which is entirely incorrect. He claims the title of Lord of the Manor of Fullwood as an inheritance from his uncle. Robert had a strong interest in acting and entertainment from an early age. He attended a drama school in London, which led to leading roles in amateur theatrical productions. He was scouted by a British modelling agency and began an extensive modelling career. This later led him into television presenting, and he has appeared on a number of television shows. In this television series, Robert used the undercover name "Tate". He met Jasmine Bishop, a pharmaceutical sales rep, early on. They bonded over Shakespeare and swimming together with whale sharks at the Georgia Aquarium. He also met a dolphin trainer named Molly and went on two dates with her. He chose to reveal his true identity to Jasmine and invited her to his family's villa in Marbella, Spain, where she met his step-brother. In the end, he asked Jasmine to extend her stay in Europe. He said that because of Jasmine, he had even more of a reason to move to America and couldn't wait to visit her home and family in Andalusia, Alabama. The couple decided to continue their relationship, but they later broke up. In Season 2 of this television series, Robert appears in several episodes.
- The Honourable Ludovic Watson (b. 1989). Resides in Yorkshire, England. His father is the Right Honourable Miles Watson, 4th Baron Manton in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. However, Ludovic has an older brother named Thomas who is the heir apparent and is most likely to become the next Lord Manton. One of the family's ancestors is Sir Marmaduke Langdale, 1st Baron Langdale of Holme, who was a prominent Royalist military commander during the English Civil War. Ludovic lives at his family's country house, Houghton Hall, Yorkshire, which dates back to the 1760s. It is set in an estate of thousands of acres and was once the seat of the (now extinct) Barony of Langdale. He attended the prestigious Oundle School, which was founded in 1556, and he enjoys hunting, shooting, fishing and skiing. In this television series, Ludovic used the undercover name "Waldo". He met Melissa Braden at a nail salon and decided to disclose his pedigree to her at the ball. She visited him in England, where she did not get along with his aristocratic friends. Melissa told him that they were not a match, and they did not continue their relationship.
- Francis Alexander Mathew is related through his mother to the Romanov dynasty of Russia (b. Sep 20 1979). Resides in England. Direct descendent of the Russian imperial House of Romanov. Known as Francis Mathew, he is the son of Thomas Mathew and Princess Olga Andreevna Romanoff. She is the daughter of the late Prince Andrei Alexandrovich of Russia, who was the grandson of Tsar Alexander III of Russia and the eldest nephew of the last Tsar, Nicholas II of Russia. He is a professional freelance photographer and has contributed to a number of magazines worldwide. He travels a lot and has worked on photo assignments in such places as Cameroon, India and Russia. His family has an historic home called Provender House, which was built starting in 1342 and is located in Kent, England. He is an active outdoorsman and enjoys keeping fit, rock climbing and reading. In this television series, he initially uses the name "Clint" as his undercover name, then later uses the name "Tom".
- Lorenzo Maria Raimondo de' Medici in Campitelli di Calabria (b. 1975). Resides in Rome, Italy. He claims descent from the House of Medici and originally comes from the town of Martirano in the south of Italy. He is the son of Alessandro de' Medici and his wife Krystyna, who live in Calabria, Italy. The main ruling Medici family died out in the 18th century, and it is not clear which extant branch of the Medici family that Lorenzo is a decendant of. Lorenzo enjoys cooking and speaks several languages. His interests include the arts, charity work and family causes. Lorenzo spends his time working with several charities and is interested in pursuing a political career. In this television series, he uses the names "Dean" and "Dino" as his undercover names.
- The Right Honourable James Rodd, Lord Rennell (b. 1978). Resides in London, England. He is the 4th Baron Rennell in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. He inherited this title in 2006 from his late father, Tremayne Rodd, 3rd Baron Rennell, who was a notable rugby player and later a businessman and politician. The current Lord Rennell grew up in London and attended a boarding school. He is a marketing expert who works for an event planning company. He has travelled extensively and enjoys playing tennis, squash, skiing and surfing. In this television series, he uses the name "Sam" as his undercover name.
- The Honourable Oliver Plunkett (b. 1985). Resides in County Meath, Ireland. He is the second son of the late Edward Plunkett, 20th Baron of Dunsany in the Peerage of Ireland. Oliver is the heir presumptive of his elder brother, Randal, who is the current Baron of Dunsany and a film director and producer. Oliver lives at his family's ancient castle in Ireland, Dunsany Castle and Demesne, which is more than 800 years old. He is named after Saint Oliver Plunkett, who was a 17th-century Archbishop of Armagh. Oliver is a computer game designer and runs a company called Dunsany Interactive. He has a dog named Commander Chow and enjoys playing croquet, video games and skiing. In this television series, he uses the name "Luke" as his undercover name.
Season 1 (2012)
|Title||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|1||1||"Romancing the Throne"||September 21, 2012||1.22|
|The inaugural episode introduces the eligible bachelors and provides details about their prestigious backgrounds. After they arrive in Atlanta, the four aristocrats settle into their home and begin their quest to find true love. In order to adapt to their new surroundings, they start by choosing undercover names and adopting a more plebeian wardrobe in order to conceal their illustrious pedigrees and fit in with the local citizens.|
|2||2||"The Princely Paupers"||September 28, 2012||0.93|
|The four gentlemen go out in Atlanta and start searching for suitable ladies, but the task of getting dates is not as easy as they thought it would be. At their house, the guys host an American-style barbecue party. In order to earn some much-needed cash, they take on minimum-wage jobs, such as dog grooming. However, their privileged upbringing left the men ill-prepared to perform such menial work, and most of them do not last long in these jobs.|
|3||3||"The Glass Slipper"||October 5, 2012||1.01|
|The men continue dating in Atlanta, and they start to have some success at finding ladies of interest to them. One woman manages to capture the attention of two of the guys. However, it becomes increasingly difficult for the men to keep their undercover identities intact.|
|4||4||"The Royal Invitation"||October 12, 2012||1.38|
|As the odyssey in Atlanta draws to a close, each man must decide which lady he wants to bring back to his homeland. The guys must first prepare to reveal their true identities, and they are very nervous about that. The men finally make their choices and invite their American ladies to an upcoming Southern ball, where they will disclose their real names and find out the reaction.|
|5||5||"Happily Ever After?"||October 19, 2012||1.85|
Each gentleman brings his chosen lady to the formal ball and later discloses his true identity, leaving the women surprised and overwhelmed. Upon reflection, the ladies accept the invitation to be a part of the men's regular lives, without being disappointed or angry about the men's decision to hide their aristocratic pedigrees. The women travel overseas to continue the relationships, but only two of the guys are ultimately successful in their endeavour.
Season 2 (2013)
|Title||Original air date||U.S. viewers
|6||1||"To Convince a Prince"||October 25, 2013||0.93|
|After the four gentlemen are introduced, they try to figure out how to pass themselves off as locals. Each aristocrat comes up with an American-sounding first name, then they ditch their custom-made clothing for their idea of American fashion. They go to a honky-tonk bar and meet a group of women, who comment on how badly the guys are dressed. Lorenzo dances with one woman, while Oliver hops on a mechanical bull with a different girl. The men's efforts to be more "American" lead them to a thrift shop, which Lorenzo finds beneath him until a stranger gives him $3 to help pay for his purchase when he finds himself short of money. A stunned Lorenzo comments that this act of kindness shows that Americans are the most generous people in the world.|
|7||2||"Rodeo & Juliet"||November 1, 2013||TBA|
|The eligible bachelors try different tactics to meet suitable ladies, including attending a rodeo, but things do not proceed as smoothly as they hope. Some of the men's dating experiences are disastrous, but Oliver has more luck. He meets a woman named Deena at a poetry event and gets along with her right away. On the home front, the guys are increasingly dismayed by the poor condition of their house. It is dirty and run down, has frequent power failures, and the lack of running water is very demoralizing to the men, who are not used to such rustic living arrangements.|
|8||3||"Disguise & Dolls"||November 8, 2013||TBA|
|The gentlemen can no longer tolerate the squalid living conditions at their shabby house, so they start looking for alternate accommodation. The guys eventually find another house that is a little cleaner and more comfortable, and they host a pool party at their new home to celebrate. Subsequently, a mysterious stranger who appears at the front door reveals himself to be Robert Walters from the first season of this series. Robert has come to assist the men undercover, and he offers good advice to help them fit in and look for love in Texas.|
|9||4||"Princess Charming"||November 15, 2013||TBA|
|Oliver and Deena are spending a lot of time together and beginning to grow closer, while James is getting on very well with Kitty, who has pink hair. By contrast, Lorenzo and Alexander are having a difficult time in trying to find the right ladies for them, and they are becoming increasingly discouraged.|
|10||5||"Smells Like a Prince"||November 24, 2013||TBA|
|Alexander had met Alaura at an art class, and he wants to go out with her. However, he has a lot of trouble trying to get together with Alaura, since she is very busy with work. Oliver likes Deena a lot, but he is also very intrigued by Christy, thus making him unsure of which woman is right for him. Meanwhile, Lorenzo sees Rosemary outside a restaurant and introduces himself to her. They get along right away and start dating, and they find that they have a lot of interests in common.|
|11||6||"The Royal Invitation"||December 1, 2013||TBA|
|The gentlemen continue to make progress in their respective relationships, but their time in Austin is coming to an end. The guys must prepare to ask their chosen ladies to a formal ball, where they will be revealing their true identities. Oliver agonizes over whether to invite Deena or Christy, but he eventually decides on Deena. The men proceed to invite the women to the big event, but the guys are very nervous about disclosing their identities and unsure what the reaction will be. At the grand ball, the undercover aristocrats reveal their real names and illustrious pedigrees. The four women are overwhelmed and somewhat confused at first, but they eventually accept the invitation to visit the men in their home countries.|
|12||7||"Royally Challenged"||December 8, 2013||TBA|
After seeing Christy at the formal ball, Oliver regrets choosing Deena over her. To correct the situation, he makes a difficult decision and breaks up with Deena. Afterwards, Oliver goes to Christy to explain his actions, and she agrees to visit him in Ireland. The four gentlemen then say farewell to each other in Austin and return to their homelands, where they await the arrival of their chosen ladies, with mixed results.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 16, 2012). "International Royalty Goes Undercover in America in 'Secret Princes'". TV by the Numbers (Press release).
- Lowry, Brian (September 19, 2012). "Review: "Secret Princes"". Variety. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (July 25, 2013). "'Secret Princes' Season 2 to Premiere Friday, October 25 on TLC". TV by the Numbers (Press release).
- "Meet Prince Salauddin Babi of India | Secret Princes". YouTube. September 26, 2012. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- "Casting: Lord Robert Jonathan Walters | Secret Princes". YouTube. September 13, 2012. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- "His Lordship puts on a cheeky show for the ladies as the boys come to town". the Chichester Observer. June 11, 2009. Retrieved August 31, 2013.
- "Meet the Honourable Ludovic Watson | Secret Princes". YouTube. September 21, 2012. Retrieved October 14, 2012.
- Associated Press (January 27, 2012). "Great-great nephew of Czar Nicholas II looks for love on Ukraine 'Bachelor'". Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- "Francis Mathew Photography". francismathew.com. Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (September 24, 2012). "Friday Cable Ratings: 'Friday Night Smackdown' Wins Night, + College Football, 'For Better or Worse', 'Haven', 'American Pickers' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (October 1, 2012). "Friday Cable Ratings: 'WWE Smackdown' Wins Night, 'For Better or Worse,', 'Diners Drive Ins & Dives', College Football, 'Yukon Men', 'House Hunters' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondoloy, Amanda (October 8, 2012). "Friday Cable Ratings: MLB Wins Night + 'Friday Night SmackDown', 'Ultimate Fighter', College Football, 'UFC Fight night' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (October 15, 2012). "Friday Cable Ratings: Baseball Wins Night, 'Girl vs. Monster', 'WWE Smackdown', 'Yukon Men', 'Dog With a Blog', 'American Restoration' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 22, 2012). "Friday Cable Ratings: WWE Friday Night SmackDown Wins Night + 'Yukon Men', 'Gold Rush', 'Secret Princes', 'Aqua Teen Hunger Force' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- Bibel, Sara (October 28, 2013). "Friday Cable Ratings: 'Gold Rush' Wins NIght, 'WWE Smackdown','Good Luck Charlie', 'Haven' & More". TV by the Numbers.
- "Secret Princes: Princess Charming". Zap2it. Retrieved November 8, 2013.