Secret Story (album)
|Studio album by Pat Metheny|
|Genre||Crossover jazz, ethno jazz, jazz fusion, world fusion|
|Pat Metheny chronology|
Secret Story is an album by Pat Metheny released in 1992. The music is all composed by Metheny (shared credit on one track) and it is one of his most ambitious and successful studio ventures, integrating elements of jazz, rock, New Age and "world music". On the performing side it includes collaborations with the Pinpeat Orchestra of the Royal Ballet (of Cambodia), the London Symphony Orchestra and its conductor Jeremy Lubbock, the Choir of the Cambodian Royal Palace, Toots Thielemans, Lyle Mays and many earlier members of Metheny's group.
Though there are no actual lyrics (the occasional vocals are wordless chant) the suite of pieces, the emotional charge of the music and the titles seem to suggest stories to read into the album, possibly a love relationship and its break-up.
Symphony orchestra arrangements written (where a definite score was used) and conducted by Jeremy Lubbock
Despite the extremely diverse and multi-layered sound, Metheny took the music on a concert tour, and a video recording of a live performance at New Brunswick, NJ, was issued. This film, also called Secret Story, was re-released on dvd in 2001.
In September 2007, the album was released again with noticeably retouched mixes and a bonus cd of five unreleased tracks from the same sessions. The remaster was issued on WEA and Nonesuch Records.
All tracks composed by Pat Metheny, except where noted.
- “Above the Treetops” (An arrangement of the Cambodian spiritual “The Buong Song”) — 2:43
- “Facing West” — 6:05
- “Cathedral in a Suitcase” — 4:52
- “Finding and Believing” — 10:00
- “The Longest Summer” — 6:34
- “Sunlight” — 3:53
- “Rain River” — 7:09
- “Always and Forever” - 5:26 (Dedicated to Metheny's parents)
- “See the World” — 4:48
- “As a Flower Blossoms (I Am Running to You)” — 1:53 (Metheny, Akiko Yano)
- “Antonia” — 6:11
- “The Truth Will Always Be” — 9:15
- “Tell Her You Saw Me” — 5:11
- “Not to be Forgotten [Our Final Hour]” — 2:22
Bonus disc of the 2007 reissue:
- “Back In Time” — 5:22
- “Look Ahead” — 4:05
- “A Change In Circumstance" — 2:14
- “Understanding” — 1:19
- “Et si c’était la fin (As If It Were the End)” — 3:40
- Jurek, Thom (2011 [last update]). "Secret Story - Pat Metheny | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 19 July 2011.