Secretary's Distinguished Service Award
|Secretary’s Distinguished Service Award|
|Awarded by United States Department of State|
|Eligibility||Foreign Service, Civil Service, US Military, civilians|
|Awarded for||"Recognition of exceptionally outstanding leadership, professional competence, and significant accomplishment over a sustained period of time in the field of foreign affairs"|
|Next (lower)||Secretary’s Award|
The Secretary’s Distinguished Service Award is an award of the United States Department of State. It is presented at the discretion of the Secretary of State in recognition of exceptionally outstanding leadership, professional competence, and significant accomplishment over a sustained period of time in the field of foreign affairs. Such achievements must be of notable national or international significance and have made an important contribution to the advancement of U.S. national interests.
The award is personally authorized by the Secretary of State provided that one of the criteria eligibility in Foreign Affairs Manual is met. It may be presented to members of the foreign affairs communities.
The award consists of a gold medal set and a certificate signed by the Secretary of State. The specific criteria for the issuance of the Secretary’s Award is determined by the Secretary of State.
Nominating and Approval Procedures
Nominations for the Secretary's Distinguished Service Award are normally initiated by the Secretary of State. However, officials at assistant secretary or higher level who wish to recommend an individual for this award may do so by submitting a memorandum of justification, cleared by the Director General, to the Executive Secretary of the Department.
- Constance Berry Newman, former U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs, September 2005
- Daniel Bennett Smith, U.S. Ambassador to Greece
- Raymond T. Odierno, General, U.S. Army
- Lloyd Austin, General, U.S. Army
- William M. Fraser III, General, U.S. Air Force
- John R. Beyrle, U.S. Ambassador to Russia
- Awards of the United States Department of State
- Awards and decorations of the United States government
- United States Department of State
- U.S. Foreign Service