Secretary of State of Wyoming
The Secretary of State of Wyoming is the state secretary of state of the U.S. state of Wyoming. It is a constitutional office, established under the Constitution of Wyoming. The Secretary of State is the keeper of the Great Seal of Wyoming and the state's official record-keeper. When the governor is traveling out-of-state, the Secretary of State serves as acting governor (Wyoming has no lieutenant governor). The current Secretary of State is Max Maxfield.
The Secretary of State's Office is divided into five divisions:
- The Administrative Services Division keeps track of the money for the other parts of the Office. This division is also responsible for the registration of notaries public, apostilles and document authentication, and is the official registrar for all state regulations.
- The Business Division files information about businesses, including charters of corporations and other business entities, and liens made pursuant to the Uniform Commercial Code. This division also registers trademarks and trade names, and is responsible for licensing Wyoming's official trademark, the Bucking Horse and Rider.
- The Compliance Division oversees the securities industry in the state, investigates violations of securities laws, and provides financial education to the public.
- The Elections Division administers elections. This task includes recording voting results for statewide elections and ensuring compliance with campaign finance laws and state and federal election laws. This division is also responsible for the registration of lobbyists.
- The Technology Division maintains the Secretary of State's employees' computer equipment and programs, and maintains the Secretary's website.
Wyoming Secretaries of the Territory:
- Edward Merwin Lee (1869–1870)
- Herman Glafcke (1870–1873)
- Jason B. Brown (1873–1875)
- George W. French (1875–1879)
- Albertis Worth Spates (1879–1880)
- Elliot S.N. Morgan (1880–1887)
- Samuel D. Shannon (1887–1889)
- John W. Meldrum (1889–1890)
Wyoming Secretaries of State:
- Amos W. Barber (1890–1895)
- Charles W. Burdick (1895–1899)
- Fenimore Chatterton (1899–1907)
- William Schnitger (1907–1911)
- Frank L. Houx (1911–1919)
- William E. Chaplin (1919–1923)
- Frank E. Lucas (1923–1927)
- Alonzo M. Clark (1927–1935)
- Lester C. Hunt (1935–1943)
- Mart T. Christensen (1943–1944)
- William "Scotty" Jack (1944–1947)
- Arthur G. Crane (1947–1951)
- C.J. "Doc" Rogers (1951–1955)
- Everett T. Copenhaver (1955–1959)
- Jack R. Gage (1959–1963)
- Thyra Thomson (1963–1987)
- Kathy Karpan (1987–1995)
- Diana J. Ohman (1995–1999)
- Joseph Meyer (1999–2007)
- Max Maxfield (2007–present)
|This Wyoming-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|