Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill Remastered
|Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill Remastered|
|Release date(s)||August 24, 2010|
Secrets Can Kill Remastered is the remastered version of the first Nancy Drew point-and-click adventure game by Her Interactive. The game is available for play on Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X platforms. It has an ESRB rating of E10+ for moments of violence and drug references. Players take on the first-person view of fictional amateur sleuth Nancy Drew and must solve the mystery through interrogation of suspects, solving puzzles, and discovering clues. There are two levels of gameplay, Junior and Senior detective modes, each offering a different difficulty level of puzzles and hints, however neither of these changes affect the actual plot of the game. The game is loosely based on a book of the same name Secrets Can Kill (1986).  
While visiting her Aunt Eloise in Florida, Nancy Drew learns that a high school student named Jake Rogers has been murdered at the local high school, Paseo del Mar, where her aunt is a librarian. An undercover police detective hires Nancy to solve the case.
- Nancy Drew - Nancy is an eighteen-year old amateur detective from the fictional town of River Heights in the United States. She is the only playable character in the game, which means the player must solve the mystery from her perspective.
- Jake Rogers: An unpopular high school student who was found murdered at the bottom of stairs at the high school.
- Connie Watson: A tough girl who practices Judo. She is the Hall Monitor.
- Hector "Hulk" Sanchez: A high school jock who's been a champion football player for the last four years.
- Daryl Grey: The student body president and a waiter at Maxine's Diner.
- Hal Tanaka: An exchange student from Japan who is trying to become a doctor.
- Detective Beech: Nancy's undercover police contact.
- Mitch Dillon: Mitch is the school's boiler serviceman and is not seen in the game but you can hear his voice when he calls you.
- Eloise Drew: Nancy's aunt and Paseo del Mar High School's librarian. She is an unseen character.
- Ned Nickerson - Ned is Nancy's boyfriend who always worries when she is on a case but helps her out nonetheless. He can be called for hints and tips.
- Mitch Dillon - Owner of Dillon HVAC
- Detective Beech - Chris Maxfield
- Daryl Gray - Ulric Dihle
- Connie Watson - Brenda Joyner
- Hal Tanaka - John Truong
- Hector 'Hulk' Sanchez - Daniel Guttenberg
- Ned Nickerson - Scott Carty
- Mitch Dillon - Simon Choule
- Jake Rogers - Alex Yopp 
- Press the following sodas on any vending machine: Cool, Cool, Pop, Spot, Grape.
- Solve Jake's puzzle box before receiving the note to go to the boiler room.
In each of the games, there are different points where Nancy can make "fatal errors." These points are usually when she blows her cover as a detective or gets seriously injured. At such points, the game will stop and give the player the option to try again before the fatal error occurred. If the player doesn't wish to retry, then the game is over. The fatal errors in Secrets Can Kill Remastered include:
- Failing to replace the bolt cutters with the ladle.
- Failing to fix the boiler in time.
- Setting off the soda machine alarm in front of Connie.
- Entering the incorrect combination to the safe three times.
- Failing to trap the culprit at the end of the game.
An award checklist is displayed at the end of the game. These are all of the possible awards:
- Ned Defender: For rebuffing each amorous attempt by Daryl.
- Easter Egg: CONFIDENTIAL
- Trivia Tamer: For answering the trivia question correctly.
- Pop Prankster: Grape, Grape, Orange, COOL!!
- Barnacled!: For reaching the last level of Barnacle Blast.
- Library Lover: For reading every single book.
- Super Sleuth: For snooping in every corner.
- Burp!: For your love of soft drinks.
- $ Grubber: For finding all those shiny quarters.
- Jukebox Jiving: For playing every song.
- Q: For following up on every lead.
- J'accuse!: For confronting all those weasly suspects.
References to Previous Games
References to previous games in the series include:
- Nancy's desk features a scrapbook which includes all of the previous games in the series.
- Nancy's cell phone wallpaper (Dread Isle = Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships; Hawaii = Nancy Drew: The Creature of Kapu Cave; Castle Malloy = Nancy Drew: The Haunting of Castle Malloy)
- The artwork on display both inside and directly outside the library was submitted by fans of the series. They contain references to many of the previous games.
- Many of the books from past games are included in the library catalog. Some are included below.
- Nancy Drew: Message in a Haunted Mansion
- Aunt Eloise's World Almanac mentions The Bandit's Treasure.
- Library Book: Explorer Encyclopedia: S (contains information about Lizzie Applegate)
- Library Book: Seen But Not Heard by Abby Sideris
- Library Book: The Saboteur by Louis Chandler
- Nancy Drew: Treasure in the Royal Tower
- Aunt Eloise's World Almanac mentions Land o' Lakes, which is where Wickford Castle is located.
- Library Book: Encyclopedia Libraria of America: M (contains information about Marie Antoinette)
- Library Book: Purple Hearted Queen by Beatrice Hotchkiss (from the vandalized library)
- Library Book: The College Survey of English Literature by Beatrice Hotchkiss
- Nancy Drew: The Final Scene
- There is a H.A.D.I.T. brochure on one of the bulletin boards in the school.
- Aunt Eloise's World Almanac mentions Brady Armstrong.
- Library Book: The Knowledge Collection: H (contains information about Harry Houdini)
- Library Book: Sensation and Public Opinion by Simone Mueller
- Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand
- The essay about etiquette in the English Essays Through the Ages book was written by Prudence Rutherford.
- Some of the library books are published by Krolmeister Publications.
- Library Book: Dyna Kam: Ham Radio Manual (from the laboratory)
- Library Book: Are We Alone in the Universe by Sonny Joon
- Library Book: Searching for Answers by Henrik Van Der Hune
- Library Book: Prudent Living: A Memoir by Prudence Rutherford
- Nancy Drew: The Haunted Carousel
- The Barnacle Blast Arcade Game is available to play in Maxine's Diner.
- Nancy Drew: Danger on Deception Island'
- One of the bulletin boards in the school mentions the Hilda Emma Swenson Foundation.
- Aunt Eloise's World Almanac mentions getting sick by eating jellyfish sandwiches. This is one of the fatal errors Nancy can make.
- Nancy Drew: The Secret of Shadow Ranch
- Aunt Eloise's World Almanac mentions someone named Bob whinnying. This is probably a reference to the horse Nancy rides.
- Library Book: Like Wind Through My Heart by Charleena Purcell (from the bookshelf)
- Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor
- Aunt Eloise's World Almanac says, "You should have tried the Dog's Eye. It was Robin Hood." This is a reference to a quote by Tommy Tucker, the man Nancy orders food from.
- Library Book: Monsters What and Why by Bee Stiary (from Jane's bookshelf)
- Library Book: Grenny and the Water Fairy by John Penvellyn (from the mantlepiece in Brigitte's bedroom)
- Library Book: The Journal of Charles Penvellyn by Charles Penvellyn (from the forge room)
- Nancy Drew: Secret of the Old Clock
- Aunt Eloise's World Almanac says, "A barking dog would do well to hold his tongue in that neighborhood." This is a quote from Josiah Crowley's HAM Radio Contact.
- Nancy Drew: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon
- Library Book: Gem Identification by Amy Thist (from Jake's train car)
- Nancy Drew: Danger By Design
- Aunt Eloise's World Almanac mentions GlamGlam magazine.
- Library Book: Ichi-Do by Chang Butomoto (from the market in Square du Vert Galant park)
- Library Book: The Photographer's Handbook by Dieter von Schwesterkrank
- Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek
- Aunt Eloise's World Almanac says, "Pish, pish." One of the rooms at the Icicle Creek Lodge was named Pish Pish.
- Library Book: Finding Fish by Bill Kessler
- The journal of Julius McQuade is in the library in French
- Nancy Drew: Legend of the Crystal Skull
- Library Book: The Crystal Skulls: Fact or Fable? by Beatrice Hotchkiss (from Bruno Bolet's library)
- Library Book: Short Stories for Tired Eyes by Bruno Bolet (from Bruno Bolet's secret study)
- Library Book: History of the Old South by Bruno Bolet
- Library Book: Evil Eye by Renée Amande
- Nancy Drew: The Phantom of Venice
- The jukebox in Maxine's Diner plays the dance music from Club Micio.
- Library Book: Religious Relics of Venice by A. Antico (from Colin's work table)
- Library Book: An Interactive Guide to Venice by Giordano Cicerone (from the bedroom table)
- Library Book: The Principles of Prudence by Prudence Rutherford (Prudence mentioned that she was writing this book)
- Nancy Drew: The Haunting of Castle Malloy
- The jukebox in Maxine's Diner plays the music from the Screaming Banshee Inn.
- The top secret plans from Daryl's father's employer include the blueprint for Brendan Malloy's rocket.
- Library Book: Nautical Cartography by Jack Stay (one of the books from Brendan's library used to solve the desk lock puzzle)
- Library Book: Zoopraxiscope: Animals in Motion by Cap Y. Bara (one of the books from Brendan's library used to solve the desk lock puzzle)
- Library Book: Hydroponics and Aeroponics: Growing Without Soil by Aggie Culture (one of the books from Brendan's library used to solve the desk lock puzzle)
- Library Book: Ersatz Quidnuncs: A Guide to Knowledge by Aru Dight (one of the books from Brendan's library used to solve the desk lock puzzle)
- Nancy Drew: Ransom of the Seven Ships
- Jake filmed a brochure for the Dread Isle Resort as the place he wants to retire to.
- Library Book: Mystery at Palm Beech by Johnny Rolle
- The book about El Toro found at the resort is available in the library.
- Aunt Eloise's trunk is full of Nancy Drew books from the classic series with the yellow cover.
- Aunt Eloise's World Almanac mentions the names of the characters from The Captive Curse.
- One of the bulletin boards has a poster for the movie Pharaoh. This is a reference to Nancy Drew Dossier: Lights, Camera, Curses. Also, Megan Gaiser gives the movie five stars. Megan Gaiser is the CEO of Her Interactive.
- On the bulletin board in the Student Union there are photos of the covers of two original ND Yellow Hardcovers: #9 and #14, The Sign of the Twisted Candles and The Whispering Statue.
- The library catalog includes the titles of two ND books: The Secret of Candlelight Inn and The Case of Capital Intrigue.
- Try calling the phone numbers from the original Secrets Can Kill:
- "Nancy Drew Secrets Can Kill Remastered | Girl Games Online". Herinteractive.com.
- "Secrets Can Kill Remastered IMDb".
Nancy Drew: Trail of the Twister
|Nancy Drew Computer Games||Succeeded by
Nancy Drew: Shadow at the Water's Edge