|Studio album by Nando Reis e os Infernais|
|Recorded||February–March 2012 at Soundhouse and Avast Studios in Seattle, USA
Mastered at Hanzsek Audio in Snohomish, USA
|Genre||Rock, pop rock, blues rock|
|Producer||Jack Endino and Os Infernais|
|Nando Reis e os Infernais chronology|
|Singles from Sei|
Sei ("I know") is the seventh album by Brazilian band Nando Reis e os Infernais. It was recorded in Seattle, Washington, with the help of producer Jack Endino, who had already produced four studio albums for Titãs, Nando Reis' ex-band. According to Nando, Endino is the "right guy" to record Os Infernais' sound.
Background and recording
"Universal didn't want to renew our contract, and I wanted to have this experience. It doesn't make much difference in terms of art, the changes are more visible at the management side, in the conception of the selling of the album. It's something that I could only do this way if I was alone."
Reis also stated he didn't understand the mechanics of the recording companies, "such as the profit margin, with albums being sold for R$30,00 (US$15,00) and almost an year later they cost R$5,00."
According to Nando, "Lamento Realengo" was inspired by a apparently pirate DVD he bought, in which Bob Marley and The Wailers were practicing in 1973. "I got crazy [watching the DVD]. This ended in 'Lamento Realengo', which is half samba, half reggae. I even recorded with a nylon acoustic guitar, which I haven't played for some 15 years!"
The opening track "Pré-Sal", his favorite song on the album, describes things related to Reis' childhood and had its name suggested by his sister. According to him, he gathered his siblings in his house and showed them the songs he would record. His sister then suggested that the opening track should be called "pre-salt" due to it being deep and prior to consciousness.
Seven tracks of the album were released via Radio UOL. The first one was the single "Sei", followed by "Pré-Sal", "Back in Vânia", "Pra Quem Não Vem", "Eu & a Bispa", "Coração Vago" and "Lamento Realengo". The entire album was later made available for streaming at Reis' official website, though one will need to login via Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or other means in order to listen to the album.
The price of the album will be defined by fans, according to their opinions about the work. People who purchase it will also get special gifts, including access to the original recordings, extra songs and a poster with the album cover.
Leonardo Lichote, from O Globo, praised the references to Brazilian music contained within the album, stating that "Nando strengthen his relations with a way that's already his: the way of a popular composer that transforms his pains and pleasures in verses filled with truth, be them as simple as "I love you" (there are thousands of variations in the album), be them codified almost exclusively for him".
All music composed by Nando Reis.
|2.||"Sei" (I Know)||3:18|
|3.||"Back in Vânia"||4:35|
|4.||"Pra Quem Não Vem (featuring Marisa Monte)" (For the Ones Who Are Not Coming)||4:14|
|5.||"Declaração de Amor" (Love Declaration)||5:00|
|6.||"Eu & a Bispa" (Me & the Bishop)||1:41|
|7.||"Coração Vago" (Vague Heart)||6:26|
|9.||"Ternura & Afeto" (Tenderness & Affection)||2:37|
|10.||"Luz Antiga" (Ancient Light)||4:09|
|11.||"Praça da Árvore" (Tree Square)||4:07|
|12.||"O Que Eu Só Vejo em Você" (What I Only See in You)||3:31|
|13.||"Sem Arrefecer" (Without Cooling)||2:01|
|14.||"Zer∅ Muit∅" (Zer∅ L∅t)||4:18|
|15.||"Lamento Realengo" (Realengo Regret)||4:22|
- Nando Reis – lead vocals, acoustic guitar, percussion
- Walter Villaça – guitars
- Felipe Cambraia – bass
- Diogo Gameiro – drums and backing vocals
- Alex Veley – keyboards, backing vocals, brass and backing vocals arrangements
- Guest musicians
- Marisa Monte - lead vocals on "Pra Quem Não Vem"
- Jack Endino - production and guitars
- Barrett Martin - percussion and vibraphone
- Steve Scafalti - brass and bras arrangement
- Chris "CD" Littefiled and Jon Rÿser - brass
- The Ladies (Cora L. Jackson, Lisa G. Allen and Caprielle Symunne) - backing vocals
- Vicki L. Jordan - solo on "Pré-Sal" and "PERSxPECTIVA"
- Jim Hunnsdale - mandolim
- Bolitos e Crab #2 - whistles
- DJ G-Fog - tambourine on "Sei" and "O Que Eu Só Vejo em Você"
- Troy Swanson - keyboard programming
- Technical staff
- Os Infernais - cop-production and arrangements
- Chris Hanzsek - mastering
- Jamie Crab #2 Hunsdale - direction
- Captain Larry - piloting
- Bushrooms - fueling
- Ana Estela Egreja - cover
- Márcio Niveo - graphical project
- Rodrigo Ribeiro - photography
- Juary Leocadio, Ivan Hods - retouch
- Menezes, Thales de (16 April 2012). "De volta ao Rock" [Back to Rock]. Folha de S.Paulo (in Portuguese): E1.
- "UOL lança músicas inéditas do novo disco de Nando Reis; ouça". UOL Música (in Portuguese) (São Paulo). 18 September 2012. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- ""Eu acho que a independência é irreversível", diz Nando Reis sobre nova fase na carreira". UOL Música (in Portuguese) (São Paulo). 26 September 2012. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- Araujo, Bernardo (1 October 2012). "Nando Reis declara sua independência com novo disco gravado em Seattle". O Globo (in Portuguese) (Rio de Janeiro). Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- Post at the band's official Facebook page
- Preto, Marcus (12 May 2014). "Nando Reis". Trip (in Portuguese). Editora Trip. Retrieved 23 May 2014.
- "Nando Reis lança disco com exclusividade em site oficial; ouça novo single". UOL Música (in Portuguese) (São Paulo). 1 October 2012. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- Nando Reis official website
- Lichote, Leonardo (1 October 2012). "Crítica de 'Sei': Música original, visceral e bela". O Globo (in Portuguese) (Rio de Janeiro). Retrieved 20 September 2012.