February 4, 1972 |
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India.
|Occupation||Film director, Producer, Screenwriter|
Sekhar Kammula (Telugu: శేఖర్ కమ్ముల) is an Indian film director, screenwriter and producer, known for his works in Telugu cinema. His first film, Dollar Dreams was a critical success, and won him the National Film Award for best debutant director. He has won six Andhra Pradesh state Nandi Awards. In 2011, Sekhar was among the director's delegation to represent Indian Cinema at the Cannes Film Festival.
Sekhar was schooled at St. Patrick's High School, Secunderabad. He completed his intermediate studies from St. Alphonsa's and graduated with a Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering from Chaitanya Bharathi Institute of Technology.
He later went to the United States of America to pursue a Graduate degree in Computer Sciences at New Jersey. After a brief stint in the IT industry, he enrolled in the MFA program at Howard University, Washington, D.C.
His second film, Anand, was a blockbuster in 2004. His next film, Godavari, was praised by critics, but was a moderate success. Happy Days, which was released on September 28, 2007, was declared a smash hit. It was remade in Tamil and Kannada. He was a writer for Tamil version which was released in 2010. He then directed Leader released on 19 February 2010 to positive reviews. His new venture "Life is Beautiful" is a box office hit too with lots of positive feedback.As his films are made on very low budgets and are content driven all his films except " godavari" made good profits.
Kammula will direct the Telugu remake of 2012 Bollywood hit Kahaani, which will have Nayantara playing Vidya Balan's character. Sekhar Kammula is going to direct his first Hindi film which is a remake of Happy Days. The Hindi version will be produced by renowned film maker Shekhar Kapoor. The film will feature several new faces and Sekhar Kammula will start scouting for new faces in Mumbai and Pune, through the same process which he employed for the Telugu film. The screenplay for the film is being written by Mumbai-based writer Nikhil Mahajan.
- Indira Gandhi Award for Best First Film of a Director - Golden Lotus Award - Dollar Dreams (2000):
- 2011 - Nandi Award for Best Story - Leader
- 2007 - Nandi Award for Second Best Feature Film - Happy Days
- 2006 - Nandi Award for Second Best Feature Film - Godavari
- 2006 - Nandi Award for Best Director – Godavari
- 2004 - Nandi Award for Second Best Feature Film - Anand
- 2004 - Nandi Award for Best Director – Anand
- 2007 - Filmfare Best Film Award (Telugu) - Happy Days
- 2007- Filmfare Best Director Award (Telugu) – Happy Days
|Year||Film||Language||Technical roles||Awards & Notes|
|2000||Dollar Dreams||English/Telugu||Writer, Director, Producer||Indira Gandhi Award for Best First Film of a Director - Golden Lotus Award|
|2004||Anand||Telugu||Writer, Director, Producer, Choreography||Nandi Award for Second Best Feature Film
Nandi Award for Best Director
|2006||Godavari||Telugu||Writer, Director||Nandi Award for Second Best Feature Film
Nandi Award for Best Director
|2007||Happy Days||Telugu||Writer, Director, Producer, Choreography||Nandi Award for Second Best Feature Film
Filmfare Award for Best Film – Telugu
Filmfare Award for Best Director – Telugu
Dasari Best Film Director Award
|2010||Leader||Telugu||Writer, Director||Nandi Award for Best Story Writer|
|2012||Life Is Beautiful||Telugu||Writer, Director, Producer|
- Sangeetha Devi Dundoo (2012-08-12). "Life & Style : Return to innocence". The Hindu. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/thscrip/print.pl?file=2007082350180400.htm&date=2007/08/23/&prd=mp&. Retrieved 2012-09-18. Missing or empty
- Prashanth Bhat May 12, 2011, 12.00am IST (2011-05-12). "Sekhar Kammula at Cannes - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- "Sekhar Kammula - Telugu Cinema interview - Telugu film director". Idlebrain.com. 2007-09-26. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- Sarah Salvadore May 22, 2011, 12.00am IST (2011-05-22). "Shekar calling Sekhar - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-09-18.
- http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/thscrip/print.pl?file=2008050559710400.htm&date=2008/05/05/&prd=th&. Retrieved 2012-09-18. Missing or empty
- "Nayanthara is Anamika in 'Kahaani'(Rani Mukerji) remake". Sify. 29 April 2013. Retrieved 29 April 2013.