Sekolah Menengah Sultan Abdul Halim
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|Sekolah Menengah Sultan Abdul Halim
Berilmu, Beramal, Berbakti
Kedah, 06000, Malaysia
|Type||Public Mixed-gender education, boarding school Sekolah Berasrama Penuh|
|Established||May 7, 1963|
|School district||Kubang Pasu|
|Principal||Mr. Abu Seman bin Sareh Md Isa|
|Grades||Form 1 - Form 5|
|Number of students||700|
|Classes||(Lower form) Arif, Bestari, Ceria, Dinamik, Elit -(Upper form) Science 1-3, Teknikal 1-2|
|Medium of language||Malay, English|
|Houses||Pendeta , Sateria, Juara, Wira, Cendekia, Andeka|
Sekolah Menengah Sultan Abdul Halim or better known as SMSAH is a premier boarding school, located in Jitra, Kubang Pasu, Kedah.Established in 1963 under Razak Report, it is the first boarding school in Kedah. The school is nickname as Jenan. In 2010,the school was awarded with the Sekolah Berprestasi Tinggi or High Performance School title, a title awarded to the 20 schools in Malaysia that have met stringent criteria including academic achievement, strength of alumni, international recognition, network and linkages. The school is specialized in rugby and wind orchestra.The school obtained fifth place among all schools in Kedah in the recent Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia 2013 with 21 students obtaining straight A's.
Establishment of Sekolah Menengah Sultan Abdul Halim line to meet the development needs in the field of Malay-medium education in Malaysia after independence.
In 1958 a Malay-medium secondary degrees has been opened in Sultan Abdul Hamid College, Alor Setar with enrollment of 31 people. Number of students has increased to 791 people in 1963. At this stage, there is a need to establish a specific school to accommodate Malay stream students. Razak Report is produced in 1956 and recommended the estabalishment of the school as among pilot school in Malay-medium education.
Flow of students studying at the Sultan Abdul Hamid College, Alor Setar were absorbed into Sekolah Menengah Sultan Abdul Halim (SMSAH). They moved into its own building located in Jenan, Jitra on May 7, 1963. Complex area of over 51 acres has 27 classrooms, a large hall, a gymnasium and a cafeteria. 2 classrooms temporary dormitory. In 1964, three dormitory buildings and a mosque was built. The opening ceremony was officiated by His Majesty the Sultan Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah, the Sultan of Kedah Darul Aman on 8 April 1965. The school is celebrating its Golden Jubilee in 2013.
SMSAH Band is among the most influential orchestra band in SBP's. As the school is specialized in wind orchestra, the band have an excellent achievement in Finale Wind Orchestra. The band gain first runner up in 2003, crowned champion in 2004 and second runner-up in 2009.
The school alumni body is Persatuan Bekas Pelajar SMSAH.
- Tan Sri Abu Bakar Abdullah - former Director General of the Public Service Department (PSD) of Malaysia
- Dato Seri Shahidan Kassim - Minister in the Prime Minister's Department, 6th Menteri Besar of Perlis.
- Dato' Sri Sharif Omar - former Deputy Agricultural Minister
- Dato' Othman Abdul - prominent Malaysian corporate and political figure, former Majlis Amanah Rakyat(MARA) Chairman
- Dato' Paduka Abd Rahman Ibrahim - Chief Executive of Perbadanan Kemajuan Negeri Kedah
- Datuk Dr Hj Yusof bin Hj Yacob - Deputy Chairman of Zecon Berhad, former Dewan Rakyat Deputy Speaker, former Chairman of Bank Rakyat
- Dato' Azizan bin Hamid - Perlis's State Secretary
- Dato' Paduka Rasli Basir - former Kedah's State Secretary.
- Prof Dato' Dr Mohamed Mustafa Ishak - Vice Chancellor of Universiti Utara Malaysia