|Subdivision of the Paleogene Period
according to the ICS, as of January 2013.
The Selandian is in the geologic timescale an age or stage in the Paleocene. It spans the time between . It is preceded by the Danian and followed by the Thanetian. Sometimes the Paleocene is subdivided in subepochs, in which the Selandian forms the "Middle Paleocene".
The base of the Selandian is close to the boundary between biozones NP4 and NP5. It is slightly after the first appearances of many new species of the calcareous nannoplankton genus Fasciculithus (F. ulii, F. billii, F. janii, F. involutus, F. tympaniformis and F. pileatus) and close to the first appearance of calcareous nannoplankton species Neochiastozygus perfectus. At the original type location in Denmark the base of the Selandian is an unconformity. The official GSSP was established in the Zumaia section (43° 18'N, 2° 16'W) at the beach of Itzurun, Pais Vasco, northern Spain.
The top of the Selandian (the base of the Thanetian) is laid at the base of magnetic chronozone C26n.
The Selandian stage overlaps with the lower part of the Tiffanian North American Land Mammal Age, the Peligran, Tiupampan and lower Itaboraian South American Land Mammal Ages and part of the Nongshanian Asian Land Mammal Age. It is coeval with the lower part of the Wangerripian stage from the Australian regional timescale.
- Cohen, K.M., Finney, S., Gibbard, P.L. (2013), International Chronostratigraphic Chart, International Commission on Stratigraphy.
- See for example Arenillas et al. (2008) or Bernaola et al. (2009) for a description of the Danian-Selandidan boundary
- Arenillas, I.; Molina, E.; Ortiz, S. & Schmitz, B.; 2008: Foraminiferal and δ13C isotopic event-stratigraphy across the Danian-Selandian transition at Zumaya (northern Spain): chronostratigraphic implications, Terra Nova 20: pp 38–44.
- Bernaola, G., Martín-Rubio, M. & Baceta, J.I., 2009: New high resolution calcareous nannofossil analysis across the Danian-Selandian transition at the Zumaia section: comparisons with South Tethys and Danish sections, Geologica Acta 7(1-2), pp 79–92.
- Gradstein, F.M.; Ogg, J.G. & Smith, A.G.; 2004: A Geologic Time Scale 2004, Cambridge University Press.
- Rosenkrantz, A.; 1920: En ny københavnsk Lokalitet for forsteningsførende Paleocæn, Meddelelser fra Dansk Geologisk Forening 5, pp. 1–10 (published March 1921). (Danish)
- Rosenkrantz, A.; 1924: De københavnske Grønsandslag og deres Placering i den danske Lagrække. Meddelelser fra Dansk Geologisk Forening 6, pp. 1–39. (Danish)
- GeoWhen Database - Selandian
- Paleogene timescale, at the website of the subcommission for stratigraphic information of the ICS
- Stratigraphic chart of the Paleogene, at the website of Norges Network of offshore records of geology and stratigraphy
|Paleocene Epoch||Eocene Epoch||Oligocene Epoch|
|Danian | Selandian
|Ypresian | Lutetian
|Rupelian | Chattian|