Selby (UK Parliament constituency)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009)|
|Former County constituency
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Selby in North Yorkshire for the 2005 general election.
Location of North Yorkshire within England.
|Major settlements||Selby, Tadcaster, Sherburn-in-Elmet|
|Number of members||One|
|Replaced by||Selby and Ainsty, York Outer|
|Created from||Barkston Ash|
Selby was a parliamentary constituency in North Yorkshire, represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It elected one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election.
1983-1997: The District of Selby; and the District of Ryedale ward of Osbaldwick and Heworth.
1997-2010: The District of Selby.
The constituency covered the district of Selby and the south-eastern suburbs of the city of York (namely the parishes of Fulford, Heslington and Osbaldwick and Heworth Without). It included the University of York and the Drax and Eggborough power stations.
Following their review of parliamentary representation in York and North Yorkshire in the 2000s, the Boundary Commission for England created a new seat of Selby and Ainsty. The new seat consists of much of the former Selby constituency, minus the south-western suburbs of York which are included in the (also newly created) seat of York Outer.
Members of Parliament
|2010||constituency abolished: see Selby and Ainsty & York Outer|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Selby|
|Liberal Democrat||Ian Cuthbertson||7,770||14.8||+3.7|
|General Election 2001: Selby|
|Liberal Democrat||Jeremy Wilcock||5,569||11.1||−1.0|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Selby|
|Liberal Democrat||A. Edward Batty||6,778||12.0||−2.9|
|Referendum Party||D Walker||1,162||2.1||N/A|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||+11.1|
|General Election 1992: Selby|
|Liberal Democrat||A. Edward Batty||9,244||14.9||−6.7|
Elections in the 1980s
|General Election 1987: Selby|
|General Election 1983: Selby|
Notes and references
- The ward of Osbaldwick and Heworth Without was moved to the Selby constituency in 1997
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 2)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Politics Resources". Election 1997. Politics Resources. 1 May 1997. Retrieved 5 January 2011.
- C. Rallings & M. Thrasher, The Media Guide to the New Parliamentary Constituencies, p.145 (Plymouth: LGC Elections Centre, 1995)
- The 1997 election result has swings relative to the notional, not the actual, 1992 result.
- "Politics Resources". Election 1992. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. Retrieved 6 December 2010.