United States House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming
The House Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming was a select committee of the U.S. House of Representatives. It was established March 8, 2007 through adoption of a resolution by a 269–150 vote of the full House. The committee existed from 2007 to 2011, and was not renewed when the Republicans gained control of the House for the 112th Congress.
Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced plans to create the select committee on January 18, 2007, which immediately drew objections from many House Republicans as well as some House Democrats, particularly Chairman John Dingell of the powerful Energy and Commerce Committee, which has primary jurisdiction over environmental and climate change issues and Chairman Charles Rangel of the Ways and Means Committee. Pelosi was able to reach a compromise with Chairman Dingell, wherein the committee will be advisory in nature, without the legislative authority granted to standing committees. Several Republican leaders, including Energy and Commerce Committee Ranking Member Joe Barton continue to object to the committee calling it a "platform for some members to grandstand."
The committee received criticism from Republicans, who argued "that the committee was unnecessary or that its budget could be used better by the ethics committee."
The Select committee conducted hearings on energy independence and climate change issues. The committee lacked the authority to draft legislation, but worked with the House standing committees with jurisdiction over climate change issues and developed recommendations on legislative proposals. Speaker Pelosi indicated she would have liked committees with jurisdiction over energy, environment and technology policy to report legislation on these issues to the full House by July 4, 2007.
Members during the 111th Congress
The select committee was reestablished for the 111th Congress pursuant to H.Res. 5. On January 14, 2009, Speaker Nancy Pelosi reappointed Ed Markey of Massachusetts and James Sensenbrenner of Wisconsin as Chairman and Ranking Member, respectively, of the committee.
- The Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming Speaker of the House Blog March 8, 2007
- House creates new committee to study global warming Associated Press, International Herald Tribune Website March 8, 2007
- H.Res. 5
- Pelosi Creates Global Warming Committee Associated Press, Breitbart.com January 18, 2007
- Pelosi, Dingell Compromise in House Over Climate Issue, Associated Press, Fox News website February 7, 2007
- "House approves warming committee". MSNBC. 9 March 2007.
- Pelosi Announces Members of Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming Speaker of the House Blog March 9, 2007
- "Pelosi Announces the Creation of Select Committee on Energy Independence and Global Warming" (Press release). Office of Speaker Nancy Pelosi. January 18, 2007.