|Created by||Abraham Quintanilla, Jr.|
Banda el Recodo
Montez de Durango
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||190 minutes. (including commercials)|
|Original airing||April 7, 2005,
March 31, 2006 (Encore), February 28, 2010 (Encore)
Selena ¡VIVE! (English: Selena Lives!) was a benefit concert which was held on the 10th anniversary of Selena's death. The concert was held on April 7, 2005 at the Reliant Stadium in Houston, Texas with over 70,000 attendees. The special was produced and filmed by the Spanish language network, Univision, and is the most watched Spanish-language special in U.S. history.
The special opened with an introduction by Jennifer Lopez, followed by Selena's original greeting to the fans of her last concert at the Houston Astrodome on February 26, 1995. The musical tribute also included a performance by Mexican singer Thalía's interpretation of one of Selena's songs, "Amor Prohibido." Thalía's performance was followed by many Latin singers, all performing a collection of Selena's songs.
The group Banda el Recodo performed a rendition of "Techno Cumbia." Puerto Rican salsa group India performed "No Debes Jugar." After a short video recounting Selena's discovery, Mexican recording artist Ana Bárbara performed "La Carcacha" along with a full complement of dancers. The duet "Buenos Amigos" was then performed by newcomer Mariana Seoane and Pablo Montero. Singer Alicia Villarreal ended the segment with "Si Una Vez".
Following another video recalling Selena's international success, Mexican singer Ana Gabriel dedicated her performance of Selena's "Tú, Sólo Tú" to her memory. She then introduced Pepe Aguilar, who dedicated his rendition of "No Me Queda Más." After a video depicting Selena's origins in Texas, the song "Fotos Y Recuerdos" by Paulina Rubio was performed.
The next video segment showed Selena's back-up band, Los Dinos, and was narrated by one of its former members, Pete Astudillo. Astudillo then performed the song he wrote after her death, "Cómo Te Extraño." After a video montage covering Selena's life, Puerto Rico's Olga Tañón performed the song "La Llamada." Singer Gloria Estefan performed Selena's English language hit "I Could Fall in Love."
Selena's brother A.B. Quintanilla and his group, Kumbia Kings, performed a duet with his sister in a specially remixed version of her hit "Baila Esta Cumbia". Later, Mexican singer Alejandra Guzmán performed Selena's song "Bidi Bidi Bom Bom". This was followed by a Tex-Mex medley by Bobby Pulido and Jay Pérez.
The late Colombian singer/songwriter Soraya performed "Dreaming of You" and was joined on stage by the vocal group Barrio Boyzz. Mexican singer Graciela Beltrán performed the song "El Chico Del Apartamento 512."
At the end of the concert, a video of Selena, performing "Como La Flor" played on giant video screens accompanied by Los Dinos,while all the performers returned to the stage to sing the chorus along with a 55-member children's choir from Stevenson Elementary.
Selena ¡VIVE! also went on to achieve a record breaking 35.9 household rating to become the highest rated and most viewed Spanish-language TV special in the history of American television. The special was also the number one program regardless of language among adults 18-34 in Los Angeles, Chicago, and San Francisco while tying for first place in New York, beating that night's episode of Fox's American Idol, which has historically received high viewer ship due to its popularity.
- Amor Prohibido - Thalía
- Techno Cumbia - Banda El Recodo
- No Debes Jugar - India
- La Carcacha - Ana Bárbara
- Buenos Amigos - Mariana Seoane & Pablo Montero
- Si Una Vez - Alicia Villarreal
- Tú, Sólo Tú - Ana Gabriel
- No Me Queda Mas - Pepe Aguilar
- Fotos Y Recuerdos - Paulina Rubio
- Cómo Te Extraño - Pete Astudillo
- La Llamada - Olga Tañón
- I Could Fall in Love - Gloria Estefan
- Baila Esta Cumbia - A.B. Quintanilla y los Kumbia Kings with Selena
- Bidi Bidi Bom Bom - Alejandra Guzmán
- Ya Ves - Bobby Pulido & Jay Pérez
- Dreaming of You - Soraya & Barrio Boyzz
- El Chico Del Apartmento 512 - Graciela Beltrán
- Dondequiera Que Estés - Aleks Syntek and Fey
- Ven Conmigo - Montéz de Durango
- Como La Flor - Selena y los Dinos, Cast & 55-member children's choir
|Live album by Various artists|
|Released||May 10, 2005 (U.S.)|
|Producer||Abraham Quintanilla III|
|Various artists chronology|
The tribute concert was followed up with the release of the album of the performance, released on May 10, 2005. Though it did not include many of the songs performed, it does include many of the highlights.
- "Tú Sólo Tú" - Ana Gabriel
- "Amor Prohibido" - Thalía
- "El Chico Del Apartamento 512" - Graciela Beltrán
- "I Could Fall in Love" - Gloria Estefan
- "La Carcacha" - Ana Bárbara
- "Cómo Te Extraño" - Pete Astudillo
- "Dondequiera Que Estés" - Aleks Syntek/Fey
- "Si Una Vez" - Alicia Villareal
- "Bidi Bidi Bom Bom" - Alejandra Guzmán
- "No Debes Jugar" - India
- "Dreaming of You" - Soraya/The Barrio Boyzz
- "Como La Flor" - Selena