Self proclaimed or soi-disant describes a legal title that is only recognized by the declaring person and not any recognized legal authority. It can be the status of a noble title or the status of a nation. It is used informally for anyone declaring themselves to any informal title.
- Micronations such as Sealand are small, self-proclaimed entities that claim to be independent sovereign states but which are not acknowledged by any recognized sovereign state.
- A self-proclaimed monarch such as Jean-Bédel Bokassa.
- "Taking to her blog to blast Melissa Etheridge in poetic prose, the self-proclaimed 'Hollywood Farm Girl' said she was "blindsided" by the timing of the dissolution of their domestic partnership.
- "In March, officials said that Khalid Sheik Mohammed, the self-proclaimed mastermind of the attacks, probably would be tried before a military tribunal and that a decision appeared to be imminent."
See also 
- "Unhappy with the government? Follow the lead of 'Sealand'". Metro News. Retrieved 2010-07-04. ""Sealand, officially known as Roughs Tower, cannot constitute a separate independent state since it has none of the characteristics of a state, such as a territory or the ability to conduct international relations,” a spokesperson for the British Foreign Ministry tells Metro."
- "Melissa Etheridge's Ex "Blindsided" by Divorce". E!. July 3, 2010. Retrieved 2010-07-04.
- Markon, Jerry (July 4, 2010). "Sept. 11 terrorism trials still in search of a venue". Washington Post. Retrieved 2010-07-04.