|Breeding plumage, Nunavut, Canada|
|Other plumage, Galapagos Islands|
Charadrius hiaticula semipalmatus
The semipalmated plover (Charadrius semipalmatus) is a small plover.
This species weighs 22–63 g (0.78–2.22 oz) and measures 14–20 cm (5.5–7.9 in) in length and 35–56 cm (14–22 in) across the wings. Adults have a grey-brown back and wings, a white belly, and a white breast with one black neckband. They have a brown cap, a white forehead, a black mask around the eyes and a short orange and black bill.
They are migratory and winter in coastal areas of the southern United States, the Caribbean and much of South America. They are extremely rare vagrants to western Europe, and have been found in Tierra del Fuego and the Isles of Scilly. Their true status may be obscured by the difficulty in identifying them from the very similar ringed plover of Eurasia, of which it was formerly considered a subspecies.
These birds forage for food on beaches, tidal flats and fields, usually by sight. They eat insects, crustaceans and worms.
This bird resembles the killdeer but is much smaller and has only one band. The term "semipalmated" refers to its partly webbed feet. Like the killdeer and since its nest is on the ground, it uses a "broken-wing" display to lure intruders away from the nest.
- BirdLife International (2012). "Charadrius semipalmatus". IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Version 2013.2. International Union for Conservation of Nature. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- CRC Handbook of Avian Body Masses by John B. Dunning Jr. (Editor). CRC Press (1992), ISBN 978-0-8493-4258-5.
- Coomber, Richard (1991). "Charadriiformes: Plovers". Birds of the World. Godalming, Surrey: Colour Library Books Ltd. pp. 97–100. ISBN 0862838061.
- Kaufman, Kenn. (2000) Kaufman Field Guide to Birds of North America. New York: Houghton-Mifflin.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Semipalmated plover.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Charadrius semipalmatus|
- Semipalmated plover species account - Cornell Lab of Ornithology
- Semipalmated plover - Charadrius semipalmatus - USGS Patuxent Bird Identification InfoCenter
- Semipalmated plover, Environment Canada
- Semipalmated plover videos, photos, and sounds at the Internet Bird Collection
- Semipalmated plover photo gallery at VIREO (Drexel University)