|Senate of Cambodia
|President||Chea Sim, CPP
Since July 1999
|First Vice President||Say Chhum, CPP|
|Second Vice President||Tep Ngorn, CPP|
|Secretary General||Oum Sarith, CPP|
|Political groups||CPP (46)
Royal appointees (2)
Other appointees (2)
|Last election||29 January 2012|
According to the Constitution of the Kingdom of Cambodia,
Article 99-New: The Senate is a body that has legislative power and performs its duties as determined in the constitution and law in force. The Senate consists of members whose number shall not exceed half of the members of the National Assembly.
Article 100-New: The King shall appointed two Senators. The National Assembly shall elect two Senators by majority vote. Other Senators shall be elected through a non-universal election.
Article 110-new: The President of the Senate shall chair the Senate, sessions, receive draft bills and resolutions approved by the Senate, ensure the implementaion of the Internal Regulation and organise the international relations of the Senate.
Cambodia’s first Senate Election was held on January 22, 2006. The election was non-universal in nature because only commune councilors and members of the National Assembly were allowed to participate, voting on behalf of their constituents.
Term and session 
According to Article 102-New of the Constitution of Cambodia,
The term of the Senate is six years and ends on the day when the new Senate takes office.
Article 107-New: The Senate holds its ordinary sessions twice a year. Each session shall last at least three months. If requested by the king or Prime Minister, or at least one-third of all the senators, the Senate shall convene in an extraordinary session.
An absolute majority vote of all senators is used in the following cases:
- Election of the President, Vice Presidents of the Senate and all members of the commissions or special commission
- Adoption of organic laws
- Adoption of the internal regulations of the Senate
- Adoption of laws or issues
A two-third-majority vote of all senators is used for the following cases:
- Adoption of the Constitution law
- The vote pertaining to decision to indict, arrest, detent, confinement disciplinary action, parliamentary immunity, incompatibility, loss of membership, or abandonment of post.
- A three-fourth-majority vote of all senators is to be used to decide on suspension of detention or indictment of any senator.
The President of the Senate is assisted by two Vice Presidents which leads the Senate. If the President is unable to perform his/her duties due to illness or due to fulfilling the functions of Acting Head of State or as a Regent, or due to being on a mission abroad, a vice President shall replace him. (Article 110-New of the Constitution)
The Permanent Committee of the Senate consists of:
- The President of the Senate
- Two Vice Presidents of the Senate
- The Chairman of the nine Commissions of the Senate
|Cambodian People's Party||8,880||77.81%||46|
|Sam Rainsy Party||2,503||22.19%||11|
|Source: MYsinchew.com, RFA|
|Cambodian People's Party||7,854||69.19%||43|
|Sam Rainsy Party||1,165||10.26%||2|
|Total (turnout 99.89%)||11,352||54|
- In addition to the general election, the King and National Assembly each choose two Senators, bringing the total to 61 members.
List of Senators 
See also 
- National Assembly (Cambodia)
- Parliament of Cambodia
- Politics of Cambodia
- List of legislatures by country
- List of Senators
- Ruling party wins Cambodia poll
- Senate of the Kingdom of Cambodia
- Senate Homepage
- Official Results of the 2007 Commune Councils Election