||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014)|
|Member of the Texas House of Representatives
from the 141st district
January 1, 1939 |
|Alma mater||Texas Southern University, University of Houston|
She holds multiple advanced college degrees. A Bachelor of Science in biology and a Master's degree in education from Texas Southern University; a Juris Doctorate from the Thurgood Marshall School of Law; and a post-law degree, Master of Law in International Law from the University of Houston. Thompson has two adult children, one grandson, one granddaughter and one great-granddaughter. 
She represents HD 141, which covers northeast Houston and the Humble area. In 1983, Texas Monthly magazine classified Thompson, along with Kae T. Patrick of San Antonio and Erwin Barton of Pasadena, as "Used Furniture", meaning among the most inconsequential of legislators in that particular session.
Thompson is the dean of women legislators, having served longer in the legislature than any other African-American woman in Texas history. A Houston attorney, Thompson is serving her twentieth term in the Texas House of Representatives.
Beer Distributor Controversy
In 2015, Thompson sponsored legislation limiting the right of craft brewers in Texas to directly market their product in an effort to bolster the three-tier distribution system. The National Institute on Money and State Politics noted that Thompson accepted campaign donations of $34,000 from the Beer Alliance of Texas and over $20,000 from Licensed Beverage Distributors and over $15,000 from Wholesale Distributors of Texas. 
- Texas House of Representatives - Senfronia Thompson
- Senfronia Thompson. Biography Texas House of Representatives. 2013. Retrieved July 1, 2013
- Paul Burka (July 1983). "The Ten Best and The Ten Worst Legislators". Texas Monthly. Retrieved February 23, 2015.
- Matt Levin (March 19, 2015). "Houston lawmaker's bill threatens Texas' craft beer industry". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- Texas House of Representatives - Senfronia Thompson official TX House website
- Senfronia Thompson For Speaker Of The House official campaign website
- Project Vote Smart - Representative Senfronia Thompson (TX) profile
- Follow the Money - Senfronia Thompson
- Thompson, Senfronia and Florence Coleman. Senfronia Thompson Oral History, Houston Oral History Project, October 2, 1974.