Senior Advisor to the President of the United States
|Executive Office of the President|
|Formation||January 21, 2001|
|First holder||Karl Rove|
|Website||The White House|
Senior Advisor is a title used within the Executive Branch of the United States Government for various positions. In the Executive Office of the President of the United States, the title has been used in two different capacities. In the George W. Bush administration, it was a formal position, first held by Karl Rove and then by Barry Steven Jackson, in the Office of the Senior Advisor to the President.
Over time it has had responsibility for the following four groups:
- White House Office of Strategic Initiatives
- Intergovernmental Affairs
- Political Affairs
- Public Liaison
In prior administrations, the position of "senior advisor" was a title used for various other purposes. Numerous examples of the position also exist throughout the Executive Departments and in the branch's independent agencies. For example, the FDA includes a position called the Senior Advisor for Science. The Department of the Interior includes, for example, a Senior Advisor for Alaskan Affairs.
List of Senior Advisors to the President
The list of Senior advisors to President of the United States are given below
|Picture||Name||State of residence||Term start||Term end||Duties||President|
|Karl Rove||Texas||January 21, 2001||August 31, 2007||Strategic Planning,
|George W. Bush|
|Barry Steven Jackson||Ohio||September 1, 2007||January 19, 2009||Strategic Planning,
|Valerie Jarrett||Illinois||January 20, 2009||present||Public Engagement,
|Pete Rouse||South Dakota||January 20, 2009||October 1, 2010||Strategic Planning|
|David Axelrod||Illinois||January 20, 2009||January 10, 2011||Political Affairs,
|David Plouffe||Delaware||January 10, 2011||January 25, 2013||Political Affairs,
|Daniel Pfeiffer||Delaware||January 25, 2013||March 6, 2015||Communications|
|Brian Deese||Massachusetts||February 13, 2015||present||Climate and Energy|
|Shailagh Murray||Virginia||April 3, 2015||present||Communications|
- Karl Rove - Political Strategist to George W. Bush
- "Interim Report on RNC Emails and the Presidential Records Act". Speaker.gov. 2011-04-04. Retrieved 2011-04-09.
- King, John (November 9, 2008). "Obama wants Valerie Jarrett to replace him in Senate". CNNPolitics.com.
- Bill Daley tapped as Obama's chief of staff Chicago Tribune, January 6, 2011
- Smith, Ben (November 19, 2008). "David Axelrod left his White House senior advisor post on January 28, 2011.". Politico. Retrieved November 19, 2008.
- "Obama Gets Second Chance to Stress Jobs Focus at State of the Union". Fox News. 2011-01-21.
- "Obama Names Transition Team". Retrieved 2008-11-06.
- "Barack Obama names two new top aides". Politico. 2015-03-24. Retrieved 2015-03-27.