||It has been suggested that Cassia tora be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since November 2014.|
- This page is about the Cassia tora described by Linnaeus. Later authors usually applied the taxon to Senna obtusifolia.
Numerous, see text
Senna tora (originally described by Linné as Cassia tora) is a legume in the subfamily Caesalpinioideae. Its name has been derived from Sinhala language, in which it is called Tora (තෝර). In Sri Lanka it is easily found in many places. It grows wild in most of the tropics and is considered a weed in many places; its native range is not well known but probably South Asia. It is often confused with Chinese Senna or Sicklepod, S. obtusifolia. If it is given a distinct common name at all, it is called Sickle Wild Sensitive-plant.
This herb is used in Ayurveda medicine for treatment of swellings etc. In some parts of Sri Lanka, people add its flowers in food.
The taxonomic history of this plant is extremely confused, even by the standards of Senna and Cassia. S. tora and S. obtusifolia were for long and are often still held to be - and may eventually be verified as - a single species. Hence, taxa referring to either species were indiscriminately applied to both.
- Cassia boreensis Miq.
- Cassia borneensis Miq.
- Cassia gallinaria Collad.
- Cassia numilis Collad.
- Apparently a misprint for Cassia humilis, which would have been applied to this species in error as it is properly a synonym of Senna obtusifolia and Chamaecrista kunthiana, depending on the author.
- Cassia tora L.
- As discussed above, the Cassia tora of other authors refers to Senna obtusifolia
- Cassia tora L. var. borneensis (Miq.) Miq.
- Cassia tora L. var. b, var. humilis, and var. obtusifolia all refer to Senna obtusifolia
- Emelista tora Britton & Rose
Where can be found
Seeds can be found in forest and tribal area of India, Sri Lanka, China and other Asian countries, few main suppliers are listed.
Supplier of CASSIA TORA SEED
- SRJ GLOBAL ENTERPRISES 
- BABULAL SARABHAI & CO. & wwww.herbexinternational.com
- HPRJ AGRI TRADERS PVT LTD, INDIA HPRJ
- REGENCY SPICES LLP, INDIA REGENCY
- ORIENT RESOURCES COMPANY, CHINA ORIENT
- KAMAL PULSES,INDIA(http://www,kamalpulses.co.in)
- NatureServe (2007)
- ILDIS (2005)
- International Legume Database & Information Service (ILDIS) (2005): Senna tora (L.) Roxb.. Version 10.01, November 2005. Retrieved 2007-DEC-20.
- NatureServe (2007): Senna tora (L.) Roxb. species factsheet. Version 6.3, 2007-OCT-29. Retrieved 2007-DEC-20.
|This Caesalpinioideae-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|