|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
|서초구 · 瑞草區|
Location of Seocho-gu in Seoul
|• Mayor||Chin Ik-chol (진익철)|
|• Total||47.14 km2 (18.20 sq mi)|
|• Density||8,300/km2 (22,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Korea Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|Website||Seocho-gu official website|
Seocho District (Seocho-gu) is a gu of Seoul, South Korea. It is a popular residential area for the upper-class residents in Seoul. Seocho is generally referred to as a part of Greater Gangnam Area, along with Gangnam District and Songpa District.
In South Korea, there are two types of dong or neighborhoods, one of which is called Beopjeong-dong (법정동 法定洞) denoting "dong designated by law". The other is called Haengjeong-dong (행정동 行政洞) referring to "dong assigned for administrative purpose". Beopjeong-dong has a long history, tradition or convention of each place, while as a population of residents in beopjeong-dong increases or decreases, the administration in charge divides one dong to several haengjeong-dong or integrates several beopjeong-dong to one haengjeong-dong such as the following example. Wonji-dong is a beopjeong-dong of Seocho District but is administered by the Yangjae 2-dong office. Seocho 1-dong is one of hangjeong-dongs of Seocho-dong. The below are beopjeong-dong.
- Seocho-dong (서초동 瑞草洞)
- Jamwon-dong (잠원동 蠶院洞)
- Banpo-dong (반포동 盤浦洞)
- Bangbae-dong (방배동 方背洞)
- Yangjae-dong (양재동 良才洞)
- Naegok-dong (내곡동 內谷洞)
The area is home to the Supreme Court and the Supreme Prosecutors' Office. Seocho Samsung Town in Seocho-dong, near Gangnam Station, is the headquarters of several corporations of the Samsung Group including Samsung Electronics. Also in DaeRyung Scecho Tower is the headquarters of South Korean skincare and cosmetics manufacturer Skin Food.
Seorae Village in Banpo-dong, is a small French enclave, with a large concentration of French residents and European-style restaurants, dessert cafes, as well as wineries and cafes stand along its main street.
- Supreme Court of South Korea
- National Library of Korea
- Seoul Art Center
- The National Center for Korean Traditional Performing Arts
- Yangjae Citizen Park
- Heonin Tomb
- Seoul Subway Line 2 Circle Line
- Seoul Metro Line 9 Corporation
|This section requires expansion. (May 2013)|
- Suginami, Tokyo, Japan
- Hongkou District, Shanghai, China
- Laoshan District, Qingdao, China
- Çankaya District, Ankara, Turkey
- Korean Statistical Information Service (Korean) > Population and Household > Census Result (2010) > Population by Administrative district, Sex and Age / Alien by Administrative district and Sex, Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "Haengjeong-dong (행정동 行政洞)" (in Korean). Doosan Encyclopedia. Retrieved 2008-04-16.
- "Skin Food<Headquarter Address". Skin Food official website. Retrieved 9 October 2012.
- Cho Jae-eun; Junghee Lee; Chang Hae-won (27 April 2011). "Amuse-bouches in Seoul’s French Quarter". Joongang Daily. Retrieved 27 January 2013.
- "footer01.gif." Torch Trinity Graduate University. Retrieved on May 15, 2013. "55 Yangjae-Dong, Sucho-Gu, Seoul 137-889, Korea"
Media related to Seocho-gu, Seoul at Wikimedia Commons