|Type||Division of holding company (LVMH)|
|Products||Cosmetics & beauty|
|Revenue||€1.94 billion (2012)|
|Parent||LVMH Moët Hennessy • Louis Vuitton S.A.|
Sephora originates from "sephos", which is Greek for "beauty" and the name Zipporah, the exceptionally beautiful wife of Moses in the Book of Exodus. The name Zipporah in the Greek Old Testament (LXX or Septuagint) is rendered, Σεπφώρα Sephora. The Sephora logo is a white "S" shaped flame against a black background.
Sephora opened its first United States store in New York City in 1998. Its North American headquarters is located in San Francisco, with corporate offices in New York City and Montréal. Featuring more than 100 brands, along with its own private label, Sephora offers beauty products including makeup, skincare, body, fragrance, color, and haircare. Sephora is owned by Louis Vuitton and Moet Hennessy LVMH as of 1997.
Sephora launched its online store to the U.S. in 1999 and into Canada in 2003. Sephora currently operates over 1,700 stores in 30 countries worldwide generating over $4 billion in revenue as of 2013 (according to Forbes). As of September 2013, the Sephora at Champs Élysées in Paris, France, attracts over six million people a year.
Sephora now also offers UK delivery on its site.
In May 2014, Sephora announced plans to open its first store in Australia.
Sephora features a variety of beauty products from over more than 100 brands including NARS, Make Up For Ever, Urban Decay, Tatcha Aburatorigami, and Too Faced Cosmetics. Sephora also features its own make-up, skincare, and beauty tools and accessories. Packaging for the line features the company's elongated flame logo in standard black print.
Sephora Inside J.C. Penney
In October 2006, Sephora began opening stores inside J.C. Penney. Sephora inside jcp features some of the same makeup, skincare, and fragrance brands as well as its own product line found in stand alone stores nationwide. There are more than 400 Sephora locations in J.C. Penney stores across the country.
- "About Sephora". Sephora. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- SHERMAN, LAUREN. "Inside Sephora’s Branded Beauty Strategy". Business of Fashion.
- Loeb, Walter. "Sephora: Department Stores Cannot Stop Its Global Growth". Forbes. Retrieved 3 January 2014.
- "About Sephora". Sephora. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "Sephora". New York Magazine. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- Born, Pete (24 October 2013). "Calvin McDonald Named CEO of Sephora Americas". WWD. Retrieved 24 October 2013.
- "Sephora.com: About Us". Sephora. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- MASIDLOVER, NADYA. "Paris Casts A Shadow Over Hours At Sephora". Wall Street Journal.
- Marsh, Lisa. "ARNAULT’S SEPHORA BUYS BUSTED EVE.COM". NY Post.
- Miles, Stephanie. "Sephora.com Buys Assets Of Defunct E-Tailer Eve.com". Wall Street Journal.
- "WWD 2011 Beauty Inc Awards: Retailer of the Year". Women's Wear Daily.
- Hamilton, Anita (4 January 2012). "How an Upstart Beauty Company Broke into the Big Leagues Read more: How an Upstart Beauty Company Broke into the Big Leagues - Ideas for Small Business". Time.
- Howes, Bryna. "Get Excited: Sephora Is Coming to Australia". Stylish 365.
- "TATCHA Skin Care | Sephora". TATCHA Skin Care | Sephora. Sephora.com. 2014-09-14. Retrieved 2014-09-14.
- "Sephora inside jcp".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sephora.|