|This article relies on references to primary sources. (October 2011)|
|Type||Division of holding company (LVMH)|
|Products||Cosmetics & beauty|
|Revenue||€1.94 billion (2012)|
|Parent||LVMH Moët Hennessy • Louis Vuitton S.A.|
Sephora is a French brand and chain of cosmetics stores founded in Paris in 1970. Sephora was acquired by French conglomerate LVMH (Louis Vuitton and Moet Hennessy) in 1997. The Sephora chain includes more than 1,750 points of sale in 30 countries across the world. Carrying more than 100 brands, along with their own private label, Sephora offers beauty products including makeup, skincare, fragrance, hair care, bath and body products, and hair and make-up tools.
Sephora is a combination of "sephos", which is Greek for "beauty" and the name Zipporah, the exceptionally beautiful wife of Moses in the Book of Exodus. The name Zipporah in the Greek Old Testament (LXX or Septuagint) is rendered, Σεπφώρα Sephora. The Sephora logo is a white "S" shaped flame against a black background.
Sephora opened its first United States store in New York City in 1998. Its North American headquarters is located in San Francisco, with marketing offices in New York City and Montréal. Sephora is owned by the Paris-based LVMH.
Sephora is the name of the ship the character Leggatt swam from in Conrad's short story, "The Secret Sharer."
Sephora carries a private label featuring make-up, skin care, beauty tools, and accessories. Packaging for the line features the company's elongated flame logo in standard black print.
Sephora Inside J.C. Penney
Sephora began opening stores inside J.C. Penney in October 2006. As of February 2013, there are Sephora locations in 386 J.C. Penney stores. Inside all Sephora inside J.C. Penney stores is the 'Beauty Studio'.
- "About Sephora". Sephora. Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "SEPHORA Opens Its Largest Flagship Store in China". herald online. January 31, 2013.
- "About Sephora". Sephora. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "Sephora". New York Magazine. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "Sephora.com: About Us". Sephora. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Beauty Boom: Is Sephora Becoming High Fashion’s Next Target?". Time.
- "Caribou Coffee Co. stands brewing for JCP stores". Jacksonville Daily Record.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Sephora|