Sepilok Orang Utan Sanctuary
The centre opened in 1964 as the first official orangutan rehabilitation project for rescued orphaned baby orangutans from logging sites, plantations, illegal hunting or kept as pets. The orphaned orangutans are trained to survive again in the wild and are released as soon as they are ready. The sanctuary is located within the Kabili-Sepilok Forest Reserve which covers an area of 4,294 ha (10,610 acres), much of which is virgin rainforest. Today around 60 to 80 orangutans are living free in the reserve. It has become one of Sabah's tourist attractions.
Entry Costs (Malaysian/ Non-Malaysian nationals): Adult- RM5/ RM30 Child- RM2/ RM15 Ticket is valid for the day of purchase, so you can attend both feeding times on the same ticket.
Camera Cost: RM10
Opening hours: Saturday to Thursday- 9am to 12pm and 2pm to 4pm. Fridays 9am-11am and 2pm to 4pm.
Orangutan feeding times: 10am and 3pm. It is recommended to arrive 30 minutes before feeding time.
Facilities: Souvenir shop, information center showing a video 6 times a day, cafe and toilets.
Getting there: Many organised tours leave from around Sabah at varying prices. Public bus #14 departs from Sandakan taking approximately 45-60 minutes, costing RM5. The Kota Kinabalu to Sandakan bus can also drop you at junction Jalan Sepilok, around 2.5km from the Center. Journey approximately 5 hours from KK.
Taxis are usually available outside the centre (RM40 to Sandakan).
Among The Great Apes With Michelle Yeoh (Documentary about the Sepilok Orang Utan Sanctuary)
- Thompson, Shawn (2010). The Intimate Ape: Orangutans and the Secret Life of a Vanishing Species. Citadel Press. p. 54. ISBN 978-0-8065-3133-5.
- "Conservation Areas Information & Monitoring System - Kabili-Sepilok FR". Sabah Forestry Department. Retrieved 2007-11-12.
- "Sepilok Rehabilitation Centre - Orangutan Appeal UK". Retrieved 2011-12-30.
- "Sepilok Orang Utan Sanctuary". Tourism Malaysia. Retrieved 2011-12-30.
- Orang Utan and other wildlife in Sepilok rainforest reserve.
- Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre
- Borneo: Sepilok Orangutan Sanctuary (visit report from Dive Happy)
- Sepilok Orangutan Appeal UK
|This protected areas-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Sabah location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|