From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The following events occurred in September 2001:
- 1 Events
- 1.1 September 1, 2001
- 1.2 September 4, 2001
- 1.3 September 5, 2001
- 1.4 September 6, 2001
- 1.5 September 7, 2001
- 1.6 September 9, 2001
- 1.7 September 10, 2001
- 1.8 September 11, 2001
- 1.9 September 14, 2001
- 1.10 September 15, 2001
- 1.11 September 17, 2001
- 1.12 September 18, 2001
- 1.13 September 21, 2001
- 1.14 September 25, 2001
- 1.15 September 26, 2001
- 2 References
September 1, 2001
- The German national football team lose a World Cup qualifier for only the second time at home in their history (including as West Germany) by a heavy 1-5 margin to an England team managed by Sven-Göran Eriksson in the Olympic Stadium in Munchen (Munich), ending a significant run of England losses to Germany.
September 4, 2001
- Google is awarded U.S. Patent 6,285,999, for the PageRank search algorithm used in the Google search engine.
September 5, 2001
September 6, 2001
- United States v. Microsoft: The United States Justice Department announces that it was no longer seeking to break-up software maker Microsoft and will instead seek a lesser antitrust penalty.
- Gwen Stefani wins the 18th MTV Awards.
September 7, 2001
- Michael Jackson performs his first 30th anniversary (of his career) concert in New York.
September 9, 2001
- Ahmed Shah Massoud, leader of the Afghan Northern Alliance, is assassinated in Afghanistan.
- The Country Bears concert known as the Country Bear Jamboree closed its doors in Disneyland for the last time. The show continues in Walt Disney World and Tokyo Disneyland.
- At exactly 01:46:40 UTC, one billion seconds since the Unix epoch (January 1, 1970 00:00:00 UTC) pass and the Unix billenium is reached.
September 10, 2001
- Michael Jackson performs his second 30th anniversary (of his career) concert in New York.
- Norwegian parliamentary election, 2001.
- Charles Ingram cheats his way into winning one million pounds on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?.
September 11, 2001
- The September 11 terrorist attacks take place in New York City, The Pentagon, and in Pennsylvania, killing 2,996 people.
September 14, 2001
- The Nintendo Gamecube is released in Japan.
September 15, 2001
September 17, 2001
- The New York Stock Exchange reopens following the terrorist attacks in New York.
- The default date used by git format patch for email output.
September 18, 2001
- The 2001 anthrax attacks commence as anthrax letters are mailed from Hamilton Township, Mercer County, New Jersey, to ABC News, CBS News, NBC News, the New York Post, and the National Enquirer.
September 21, 2001
- White English teenager Ross Parker stabbed to death in racially motivated attack by a gang of Muslim Asians in Peterborough, England. Racial tensions in the area had been raised following the September 11th attacks
- The AZF fertiliser factory in Toulouse, France, explodes, killing 31 and injuring over 2000. Later, a terrorist group take up the name "AZF" when threatening to bomb French railways.
September 25, 2001
- The national satellite radio service XM went live.
September 26, 2001