Serbia–United Kingdom relations
British – Serbian relations are foreign relations between the United Kingdom and Serbia. Both countries established diplomatic relations in 1837. The UK has an embassy and consulate in Belgrade and Serbia has an embassy in London. The Serbian ambassador to the United Kingdom is Dr Dejan Popovic and the British ambassador to Serbia is Stephen Wordsworth.
The UK and Serbia have good bilateral military co-operation, the UK has provided training and assistance to assist defence reform for Serbia.
Trade between the two countries in 2004 amounted to US$ 245.8 million. In the first ten months of 2005 exports of Serbia and Montenegro to Great Britain accounted for US$ 68.2 million (110.6 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2004) and the imports from the UK were US$ 104.2 million (85 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2004).
The 2001 UK Census recorded 31,244 people born in the former state of Serbia and Montenegro, which are now the independent states of Serbia and Montenegro, while Kosovo's[a] independence from Serbia is still disputed.
- British Foreign and Commonwealth Office about relations with Serbia
- British embassy in Belgrade
- Serbian Ministry of Foreign Affairs about relations with the United Kingdom
- Serbian embassy in London
Notes and references
- Kosovo is the subject of a territorial dispute between the Republic of Serbia and the self-proclaimed Republic of Kosovo. The latter declared independence on 17 February 2008, but Serbia continues to claim it as part of its own sovereign territory. Kosovo's independence has been recognised by 101 out of 193 United Nations member states.
- Our embassy
- Home Page - Embassy of the Republic of Serbia in London, Great Britain
- About The Embassy - Embassy of the Republic of Serbia in London, Great Britain
- Country Profile: Serbia (Formerly the State Union of Serbia and Montenegro)
- "Country-of-birth database". Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Retrieved 2008-09-20.
- UK "strongly supports" Serbia's progression towards European Union membership