|Industry||Train operating company|
|Area served||Northern England|
Serco-Abellio (formerly Serco-NedRailways) is a joint venture between Abellio and Serco, each owning 50%. Serco is a UK public listed company providing outsourced public sector services internationally, including the operation of public transport systems. Abellio is a subsidiary of the Dutch government owned Nederlandse Spoorwegen.
In July 2004 Serco/NedRailways was awarded the Northern Rail franchise for six years and nine months from December 2004 with a two-year extension subject to performance targets being achieved.
In May 2010 the Department for Transport confirmed that Northern Rail had met the performance targets and the franchise was extended for two years until September 2013. In May 2012 the Department for Transport granted Northern Rail a six month extension until March 2014. In March 2013 the Secretary of State for Transport announced the franchise would again be extended until 4 February 2016.
The joint venture was also shortlisted for a number of other rail franchises:
More recently Abellio was shortlisted for the London Overground, South Central, Greater Anglia, InterCity West Coast, Essex Thameside, Thameslink Southern & Great Northern and Scotrail franchises in their own right while Serco will commence operating the Caledonian Sleeper franchise in April 2015.
In June 2014, it was confirmed that each partner bid independently for the next Northern Rail franchise, however only Abellio made the shortlist. The joint venture will continue to operate the Merseyrail franchise until its 2028 conclusion.
- Serco joint venture selected as preferred bidder for £3.6 billion Merseyrail Electric network concession Serco 23 April 2003
- Merseyrail franchise goes Dutch The Telegraph 24 April 2003
- "Serco-NedRailways Announced as Preferred Bidder for new Northern Rail Franchise" (Press release). Strategic Rail Authority. 1 July 2004. Retrieved 23 June 2009.
- Rail Magazine (492), 21 July 2004: 14
- Juliette Jowit (2004-10-17). "Dutch railway to share new Northern franchise". The Observer.
- "Northern Secures Two Year Franchise Extension" (Press release). Northern Rail. 13 May 2010. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- Serco Northern Rail venture awarded £530m two year franchise extension Serco 13 May 2010
- Northern Secures Two Year Franchise Extension Northern Rail 13 May 2010
- "Northern Rail granted franchise continuation". Rail.co. 2012-05-10. Retrieved 2012-05-10.
- Franchise Continuation for Northern Rail Northern Rail 9 May 2012
- Contract News Update 14 Serco 14 May 2012
- "Railway plan puts new focus on passengers" Secretary of State for Transport statement 26 March 2013
- Completed acquisition by Arriva plc of the Wales and Borders Rail franchise Office of Fair Trading 16 March 2004
- ScotRail franchise bidders reveal plans for network's future Herald Scotland 22 March 2003
- AFX News Limited / Thomson Financial (2007-06-21). "UK govt awards West Midlands rail franchise to Go-Ahead Group UPDATE". Forbes. Archived from the original on 2011-05-23.
- "Foreign bids for Metro contract". BBC News. 2009-02-02. Retrieved 2009-02-03.
- NedRailways shortlisted for Tyne & Wear Metro franchise Abellio 6 June 2009
- Serco to divorce from Northern Rail partner Daily Telegraph 18 June 2014