|Sergio Fajardo Valderrama|
|Sergio Fajardo Valderrama during the press conference of the City to City Barcelona FAD Award’s Ceremony, which was awarded to Medellín.|
|Governor of Antioquia|
January 1, 2012 – Present
|Preceded by||Luis Alfredo Ramos|
|Mayor of Medellín|
January 1, 2004 – December 31, 2007
|Preceded by||Luis Pérez Gutiérrez|
|Succeeded by||Alonso Salazar Jaramillo|
June 19, 1956 |
|Political party||Partido Verde|
|Indigenous Social Alliance Movement|
|Spouse(s)||Ana Lucrecia Ramírez Restrepo|
|Alma mater||University of the Andes
University of Wisconsin–Madison
Sergio Fajardo Valderrama, a mathematician from The University of the Andes turned politician, was the mayor of Medellín from 2003 to 2007 as an independent and is the current governor of Antioquia. Fajardo was granted a Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin–Madison.
After he left the mayoralty, he briefly joined a national radio station as a commentator, which raised his profile. The teacher-turned-politician recently figured highly in a poll of public figures, but he is neither aligned nor opposed to Álvaro Uribe.
Fajardo graduated (high school) from the Colegio Benedictino, and has an undergraduate and a graduate degree (M.Sc) in mathematics from the Universidad de los Andes - Bogotá. Later he went to the United States and got a PhD in mathematics with a minor in economics from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
As a journalist he was subdirector of El Colombiano and wrote a regular column for El Mundo, El Espectador and Dinero; he had roles in the TV programs Operación Ciudad in Telemedellín and Zanahoria in Teleantioquia and also formed part of the Viva FM Caracol Radio team.
He has been involved in peace processes as founding member of the Comisión Facilitadora de Paz de Antioquia while Álvaro Uribe was the governor of Antioquia and has given conferences on Colombia's armed conflict.
In 2009, Fajardo, along with Alejandro Echeverri, were awarded the winners of the Curry Stone Design Prize, for their bold and ambitious public works plan for the city of Medellín.
- Fajardo, S., Keisler, H.J. (2002), Model Theory of Stochastic Processes. Lecture Notes in Logic. Association for Symbolic Logic. A.K.Peters, Natick, MA. ISBN 1-56881-172-1.
- Fajardo, S. (2007), Medellín del miedo a la esperanza. Alcaldía de Medellín.
- A conversation with Sergio Fajardo, former mayor of Medellín
- Sergio Fajardo Profile at Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Romero, Simon (2006-07-15). "'Medellín’s Nonconformist Mayor Turns Blight to Beauty'". The New York Times. Retrieved 2007-07-16.
- Administrator (December 31, 2011). "SERGIO FAJARDO V.". Gobernacion de Antioquia. Retrieved 2012-05-31.(Spanish)