Sergio Rodríguez in 20 minutos.
|No. 13 – Real Madrid|
June 12, 1986 |
San Cristóbal de La Laguna, Canary Islands, Spain
|Listed height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Listed weight||176 lb (80 kg)|
|NBA draft||2006 / Round: 1 / Pick: 27th overall|
|Selected by the Phoenix Suns|
|Pro playing career||2003–present|
|2006–2009||Portland Trail Blazers|
|2010||New York Knicks|
|2010–present||Real Madrid (Spain)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Prior to joining the Trail Blazers, Rodríguez was chosen to play for the 2004 World Junior Select team to play against the best high school players at the Nike Hoop Summit, located in the United States. Before joining the NBA, Rodríguez also played professional basketball at the senior club level for Estudiantes of the Spanish League, in which he played a final against FC Barcelona in the 2003–04 season, and won the ACB Rising Star Award for the 2004–05 season.
Rodríguez was selected with the 27th pick in the first round, by the Phoenix Suns, in the 2006 NBA Draft (and later that day traded to the Portland Trail Blazers in exchange for cash considerations). On July 20, 2006, it was announced that the Trail Blazers had negotiated a buyout with his Spanish League club Estudiantes, and signed him to an NBA rookie-scale contract.
Back to Spain
On July 5, 2010, after spending four seasons in the NBA, Rodríguez signed a 3-year contract with the Euroleague club Real Madrid. In July 2012, he signed a 2-year contract extension with Real Madrid, extending his contract through the 2014–15 season. In May 2014, alongside with his teammate Rudy Fernández, he was named to the All-Euroleague First Team of the Euroleague. Prior the Final 4, he has been named the Euroleague MVP of the season, averaging 14 points, 4.9 assists and 2 rebounds over 31 games, despite he hasn't started in any game.
Spanish national team
Thought to be one of the best European prospects of his age, Rodríguez was named the MVP of the 2004 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship, which was held in Zaragoza, Spain, while playing with the Spanish national junior team. He led the host Spanish team to the tournament's gold medal. In the eight games of that tournament, he averaged 19 points per game, 4.6 rebounds per game, 8.5 assists per game, and 2.1 steals per game.
In August 2006, Rodríguez won the gold medal at the 2006 FIBA World Championship, while playing with the senior men's Spanish national team. He also won the silver medal with Spain's senior national team at the EuroBasket 2007. In 2012, he won a silver medal at the Summer Olympic Games in London.
Awards and accomplishments
- 2x Spanish King's Cup Champion: 2012, 2014
- 2x Spanish Supercup Champion: 2012, 2013
- Spanish League Champion: 2013
Spanish national team
- 2004 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship: Gold
- 2006 FIBA World Championship: Gold
- FIBA EuroBasket 2007: Silver
- 2012 Summer Olympic Games: Silver
- FIBA EuroBasket 2013: Bronze
- FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship MVP: 2004
- Spanish League Rising Star Award: 2005
- All-Spanish League Team: 2013, 2014
- Spanish Supercup MVP : 2013
- All-Euroleague First Team: 2014
- Euroleague MVP: 2014
- Spanish League Most Spectacular Player of the Year (KIA Award): 2014.
- Best Spanish League Passer 2013-2014.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field-goal percentage||3P%||3-point field-goal percentage||FT%||Free-throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||PIR||Performance Index Rating|
- "Trail Blazers trade Sergio Rodriguez, Jon Brockman to Kings for Jeff Pendergraph". InsideHoops.com. June 25, 2010. Retrieved September 3, 2011.
- "Knicks obtain McGrady in 3-team, 9-player trade". SI.com. February 18, 2010. Retrieved September 3, 2011.
- "Sergio Rodriguez joins Real Madrid". Retrieved September 3, 2010.
- Euroleague.net REAL MADRID, Rodriguez agree to extension through 2015.
- "2013-14 All-Euroleague First and Second Teams announced". Euroleague.net. Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- "Rodriguez voted bwin MVP of the 2013-14 Turkish Airlines Euroleague". Euroleague.net. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- Sergio Rodriguez on Twitter (Spanish)
- Career statistics and player information from NBA.com
- Sergio Rodriguez at Basketball-Reference.com
- Euroleague.net profile
- Eurobasket.com Profile
- Spanish League Profile (Spanish)
- Sergio Rodriguez Player Profile (InterBasket)
- Sergio Rodriguez 06-07 NBA highlights (Blazers Clips)
- 2007 Summer League interview, part 1
- 2007 Summer League interview, part 2