Serious Sam (series)
|Developers||Croteam and others|
Gathering of Developers
|Platforms||Microsoft Windows, Linux, Xbox 360|
|First release||Serious Sam: The First Encounter
March 1, 2001
|Latest release||Serious Sam 3: BFE
November 22, 2011
Serious Sam is a video game series consisting of twelve games. Originally released for the PC market only, Serious Sam's rising popularity resulted in the porting of the series to a number of different platforms, including the Xbox, GameCube, Palm OS, Game Boy Advance, PlayStation 2, and Xbox Live Arcade.
- Serious Sam: The First Encounter (2001) (Palm OS: 2002)
- Serious Sam: The Second Encounter (2002)
- Serious Sam (2002)
- Serious Sam Revolution (2014)
- Serious Sam: The Next Encounter (2004)
- Serious Sam Advance (2004) (due to technical limitations this game uses a simpler engine)
- Serious Sam Origins (TBA)
Serious Engine 2
- Serious Sam II (2005)
Serious Engine 3
Serious Engine 3.5
- Serious Sam 3: BFE (2011)
Serious Engine 4
- Serious Sam Double D (2011) & Serious Sam Double D XXL (2013)
- Serious Sam: Kamikaze Attack! (2011)
- Serious Sam: The Random Encounter (2011)
- Serious Sam: The Greek Encounter (2012)
Croteam created their own engine for use in both The First Encounter and The Second Encounter. Named the "Serious Engine", it is designed to cope with extremely large view distances and massive numbers of models, unlike most FPS engines which are developed for a limited draw distance and only a few animating models (i.e. enemies) on screen at a time: it is very efficient, capable of maintaining dozens of moving enemies (often stampedes) even on a modest system challenging the well known id Tech, Unreal or Source engines. The "Serious Engine" can render through both Direct3D or OpenGL and, while it does not support pixel or vertex shaders, it is optimised for Direct3D 7's hardware transformation, clipping and lighting. The "Serious Engine" is available for licensing from Croteam.
A more powerful iteration of the "Serious Engine" was developed for use in Serious Sam II and is known as "Serious Engine II". It supports many features of modern GPUs such as pixel and vertex shaders, HDR, bloom and parallax mapping.
Serious Engine 3 was used in Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter and Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter. It includes detailed shading, and enemies are remodeled to look more realistic. This engine is also being developed to harness the full capacity of HDR and High Definition mapping. An updated version, Serious Engine 3.5, is used in Serious Sam 3.
Serious Sam is voiced by John J. Dick.
- Official website
- Croteam website
- Serious Sam series at MobyGames
- Seriously! – Serious Coverage – Forums, Downloads, News, Interviews, etc.