Serranópolis de Minas
Serranópolis de Minas is a municipality in the northern region of Minas Gerais, Brazil. The population in 2007 was 4,515 in an area of 553 km². The elevation is 555 meters. It became a municipality in 1997. The postal code (CEP) is 39518-000.
Serranópolis de Minas is part of the statistical microregion of Janaúba.
The main economic activities are cattle raising (12,000 head in 2006) and farming with a modest production of corn, citrus fruits, bananas, coffee, cotton, and sorghum. In the urban area there were no financial institutions as of 2006. There were 60 automobiles, giving a ratio of about one automobile for every 70 inhabitants. The Gross Domestic Product was R$ 10,494,000.00 (2005) a year, which was mainly generated by services and agriculture. Health care was provided by 3 public health clinics. There were no private hospitals as of 2005.
Farm Data for 2006
- Producers: 533
- Area: 24,855 ha.
- Area planted in crops: 1,000 ha.
- Area of natural pasture: 14,600 ha.
- Area of woodland and forest: 7,800 ha.
- Persons occupied related to the producer: 1,145
- Salaried workers not related to the producer: 109
- Establishments with tractors: 18
- Number of tractors: 20
Municipal Human Development Index
Serranópolis de Minas was in the bottom tier of the poorest municipalities in Minas Gerais
- MHDI: .655 (2000)
- State ranking: 730 out of 853 municipalities as of 2000
- National ranking: 3,695 out of 5,138 municipalities as of 2000