|Key people||Chris Terrill,
HomeAdvisor (formerly ServiceMagic) is a website that lists pre-screened and customer-rated service professionals. The website also has tools, products, and resources for home improvement, maintenance, and repair. HomeAdvisor is a subsidiary of Barry Diller’s InterActiveCorp.
Professionals in the HomeAdvisor network are pre-screened for criminal records, bankruptcy issues, bad reviews, sex offenses, and cases of malpractice. There is no charge to homeowners to use the service. Homeowners choose a category that matches their home improvement need, enter their full address along with contact information and answer three pages of questions about their project.
HomeAdvisor also includes other services, such as ProFinder and Cost Guide. Along with these tools, HomeAdvisor has its mobile app Home911, specific to helping homeowners connect with service professionals in emergencies. HomeAdvisor also offers a HomeAdvisor and HomeAdvisorPro mobile app along with the HomeSavvy mobile app, which builds home maintenance alert schedules.
HomeAdvisor, launched as Service Magic.com was founded in 1998 by Rodney Rice and Michael Beaudoin who were part of the founding management team of Einstein Bros. Bagels. The website was acquired by InterActiveCorp in 2004 for an unknown price, though no jobs were lost in the process. Leading up to 2008, ServiceMagic matched 7 million home improvement requests by homeowners to its network of contractors and service professionals.
The website's main competitor, ImproveNet, was bought out by ServiceMagic in 2005 for $6.7 million.
In January 2008, IAC/InterActiveCorp appointed Craig Smith as CEO of ServiceMagic, Inc. He was the Senior Vice President of the company's Consumer Division. Co-founders Rodney Rice and Michael Beaudoin became co-chairmen and advisors. ServiceMagic remained part of the parent company when IAC split into five publicly traded companies.
In March 2008, Service Magic launched ScreenAPro, which allows homeowners to screen contractors.
In October 2008, ServiceMagic US acquired the French business 123Devis.com and Travaux.com as well as UK business 123GetAQuote.co.uk to create ServiceMagic Europe. In March 2009, the UK business was rebranded ServiceMagic.co.uk.
In April 2009, Service Magic announced that it had formed a "strategic alliance" with the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA) that would benefit both groups by bringing in more customers.
As of 2011, ServiceMagic has more than 1,100 employees.
In April 2011, Chris Terrill was hired as Chief Executive Officer.
In October 2012 ServiceMagic rebranded as HomeAdvisor with Amy Matthews as their Home Improvement Expert.
In October 2012 HomeAdvisor launched Cost Guide, a comprehensive guide to home project cost profiles encompassing hundreds of project types, providing city, state and national project costs based on 600,000 cost profiles provided by real users and Home911, a mobile app that enables users to take control of any home repair emergency by giving instant access to pre-screened service professionals and live 24/7 support with the Home911 Homeowner Emergency Line, currently available on iOS.
Past names ServiceMagic (December 1998- September 2012)
- Chris Terrill, CEO (Chief Executive Officer)
- Craig Smith, President of HomeAdvisor U.S./CEO (Chief Operating Officer) of HomeAdvisor International
- Kirk Schreck, COO (Chief Operations Officer)
- Brandon Ridenour, CTO (Chief Technology Officer) & CPO (Chief Product Officer)
- Karl Sowa, CMO (Chief Marketing Officer)
- Vuong, Andy (October 1, 2012). "Golden's ServiceMagic becomes HomeAdvisor in risky rebranding strategy". Denver Post.
- Yamshon, Leah (September 5, 2011). "Angie's List: Is the Service Site Worth Its Membership Fee?". PC World.
- Carey, Pete (September 7, 2012). "Click your way to a home repair". Mercury News.
- Leder, Heidi (October 4, 2012). "HomeAdvisor Re-Launches With New Home Improvement Tools". Coast2coast Mom.
- Moore, Paula (May 5, 2010). "U.S. homeowner interest in remodeling up 49%, says ServiceMagic.com". Denver Business Journal.
- Leder, Heidi (October 5, 2012). "Home911 Helps You Find Pre-Qualified Home Pros". Techlicious.
- Lock, Andrew (September 15, 2011). "4 Web Tools at Your Service". smallbusinesscomputing.com.
- Arellano, Kristi (July 23, 2004). "InterActiveCorp adds ServiceMagic to web of offerings". Denver Post. Retrieved October 8, 2010.
- Fillion, Roger (June 24, 2005). "Servicemagic to buy rival". Rocky Mountain News. Retrieved October 8, 2010.
- "ServiceMagic names new CEO". Denver Business Journal. January 23, 2008. Retrieved 29 September 2010.
- "Service Magic Announces Launch of Screen-A-Pro". PRNewswire. March 25, 2008.
- "ServiceMagic.com and NKBA Form Alliance". Appliance Magazine. April 6, 2009. Retrieved October 8, 2010.
- "Denver-area companies learn to use Internet, social media to stand out". The Denver Post. August 1, 2011.
- "ServiceMagic names new CEO". Denver Business Journal. April 25, 2011.