|Founded||1929, incorporated 1947|
|Headquarters||Memphis, Tennessee, USA|
|Key people||Robert J. Gillette, Chief Executive Officer
Alan Haughie, CFO
Peter Tosches, SVP for Corporate Communications
|Owner(s)||Clayton, Dubilier & Rice|
ServiceMaster is a public Fortune 1000 company that provides various services to residences and firms. Its headquarters are located in Memphis, Tennessee after moving there from Downers Grove, Illinois in early 2007. Brands operated by ServiceMaster include: Terminix, American Home Shield, Furniture Medic, AmeriSpec, ServiceMaster Clean, and Merry Maids. As of January 1, 2014, TruGreen is no longer a brand of ServiceMaster. ServiceMaster was founded by Marion E. Wade, a minor league baseball player, as a moth-proofing company in Chicago, Illinois. It was incorporated in 1947 and expanded to franchised carpet cleaning in 1952. Its movement into business services makes it a large outsourcing company. The core services of the company include lawn care and landscape maintenance, termite and pest control, home service contracts, disaster response and reconstruction, cleaning and disaster restoration, house cleaning, furniture repair, and home inspection.
ServiceMaster has more than 5,100 company-owned and franchise locations around the country. It has 27,000 corporate employees and a franchise network that independently employs over 31,000 additional people.
They formerly owned American Residential Services (also known as ARS/Rescue Rooter), having sold the company off in 2006.
- ServiceMaster Clean (established 1952): Disaster Restoration, Janitorial and Carpet Cleaning
- TruGreen (acquired 1990, split 2014): lawn care
- Terminix (founded 1927, acquired 1986): pest control
- American Home Shield (founded 1971, acquired 1989): home warranty 
- Furniture Medic (acquired 1996): furniture repair
- AmeriSpec (acquired 1996): home inspection
- Merry Maids (acquired 1988): maid services
- Pestmaster Services of California (acquired 2012): Pest Control
In March 2007, ServiceMaster accepted a $5.5 billion buyout offer from the New York-based private-equity firm Clayton, Dubilier & Rice. CD&R is a nearly 30-year-old, private equity firm with a history of buying and selling companies. Its purchases have included Kinko's, which it sold to FedEx in 2004 for $2.4 billion, and the Hertz rental car business, which it bought with two other firms for $15 billion in 2005.
American Home Shield
American Home Shield currently services more than 1.3 million customers across 49 states and the District of Columbia. The company administers preventative maintenance contracts on major home systems and appliances and work with over 10,000 independent home-service contractors. In 2013 American Home Shield received HomeWarrantyReviews.com's 'Best in Service' Award.
On July 24, 2007 a lawsuit was filed against American Home Shield alleging that "American Home Shield engaged in a pattern and practice of failing to fulfill its contractual obligation to its customers". In February 2008 American Home Shield announced a proposed settlement.
- "The ServiceMaster Company Investor Relations". Corporate-ir.net. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "ServiceMaster". Corporate.servicemaster.com. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "History - TruGreen". The TruGreen Companies LLC.
- "About AHS". American Home Shield.
- "American Home Shield News". American Home Shield. 2014-01.
- "American Home Shield Lawsuit". Homewarrantyreviews.com. Retrieved 2014-03-07.