Service Children's Education
Service Children's Education (SCE) is an organisation of the United Kingdom government responsible for the education of the children of service families and Ministry of Defence (MoD) personnel serving outside of the United Kingdom. They provide schools and educational support services from Foundation Stage through to sixth form.
SCE was headquartered in Wegberg, Germany, until 2012, but is now in JHQ Rheindahlen. It was previousy an executive agency of the MoD, but this status was removed on 31 March 2013 following the reduction of service personnel based abroad. However, it continues to operate under the SCE name as part of the MoD.
Education for children of military personnel was previously the responsibility of the British Families Education Service (BFES) and the War Office. Historically a schoolmistress (Queen's Army Schoolmistresses) was specially trained and employed to teach these children until the post was abolished in favour of schools which were operated more like mainstream schools back in the UK.
Schools follow the English National Curriculum, administer national assessments and public examinations, and are inspected by Her Majesty's Inspectorate, via Ofsted. Teachers have recognised UK professional qualifications and the majority are recruited specially from the United Kingdom for service in the schools.
The agency operates primary and secondary schools in Germany and Cyprus and also provides educational facilities in territories such as the Falklands and Gibraltar where there is a significant British military presence. The schools are typically grouped by garrison (including its outlying bases).
- Gloucester School, Hohne
- Prince Rupert School, Rinteln
- King's School, Gütersloh
- Windsor School, Rheindahlen
- Bielefeld School, Bielefeld
- Bishopspark First School, Paderborn
- Haig School, Gütersloh
- Heide School, Fallingbostel
- Lister Primary School, Herford
- Montgomery School, Hohne
- Oxford Primary School, Münster
- Robert Browning School, Paderborn
- Shackleton School, Fallingbostel
- Sir John Mogg Primary School, Detmold
- Slim School, Bergen
- St David's Primary School, Ramstein
- Weser School, Hameln
- William Wordsworth First School, Sennelager
- Akrotiri School, RAF Akrotiri
- Ayios Nikolaos School, Ayios Nikolaos Station
- Episkopi Primary School
- Dhekelia Primary School
- BFS Naples, Italy
- Hornbill School, Brunei
- Mount Pleasant School, RAF Mount Pleasant, Falklands
- SHAPE International School (British section), Belgium
- St. Christopher's Middle School, Gibraltar
Former Schools 
- Alexandra Grammar School, Singapore (now the site of ISS International School Preston campus)
- Charlottenburg First School (now the site of Berlin British School)
- Mountbatten Primary School, Germany
- St George's School, Hong Kong (closed 1996)
See also 
- British Families Education Service
- Naval Education Service
- Queen's Army Schoolmistresses
- Royal Army Educational Corps
- Institute of Education Archives Subject Guide No. 4 Post-War Reconstruction
- "SCE Schools - Germany". Archived from the original on 30 January 2013.
- "SCE Schools - Cyprus". Archived from the original on 30 January 2013.
- SHAPE International School - British Section
- "SCE Schools - Rest of the world". Archived from the original on 30 January 2013.