Service Interoperability in Ethernet Passive Optical Networks
|Type||Standards working group|
The Service Interoperability in Ethernet Passive Optical Networks (SIEPON) working group proposed the IEEE 1904.1 standard for managing telecommunications networks.
Ethernet passive optical network (EPON) is a technology for fiber to the x access networks, with millions subscriber lines. In response to rapid growth, the SIEPON project was formed in 2009 to develop system-level specifications, targeting "plug-and-play" interoperability of the transport, service, and control planes in a multi-vendor environment.
The project was organized to build upon the IEEE 802.3ah (1G-EPON) and IEEE 802.3av (10G-EPON) physical layer and data link layer standards and create a system-level and network-level standard, allowing interoperability of the transport, service, and control planes in a multi-vendor environment. The "P" prefix is used while the standard is being proposed, and then dropped when ratified. A draft standard was announced in September 2011. The Industry Standards and Technology Organization announced a conformity assessment program in February 2012. The first official standard in the series, IEEE Standard 1904.1-2013, was published in September 2013.
- IEEE P1904.1 Working Group, http://www.ieee1904.org/1/
- "IEEE to Develop Standard for Interoperability of Ethernet Passive Optical Networks". Press release on formation of P1904.1 (IEEE Standards Association). December 14, 2009. Archived from the original on July 6, 2010. Retrieved November 8, 2013.
- IEEE P802.3ah Ethernet in the First Mile Task Force, http://www.ieee802.org/3/ah/
- IEEE P802.3av 10G-EPON Task Force, http://www.ieee802.org/3/av/
- "IEEE Standards Association Announces EPON Standardization Milestone". Press release (IEEE). September 7, 2011. Retrieved November 8, 2013.
- "IEEE Conformity Assessment Program (ICAP) Establishes Testing and Certification Program for EPON Equipment". Press release (ISTO). February 1, 2012. Retrieved November 8, 2013.
- IEEE Standard for Service Interoperability in Ethernet Passive Optical Networks. IEEE Standard 1904.1-2013 (IEEE Standards Association). September 20, 2013. ISBN 9780738185101.