Service de police de la Ville de Laval
|Service de police de la Ville de Laval|
|Logo of the Service de police de la Ville de Laval.|
|Motto||Servir et Proteger|
|Serve and Protect|
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Elected officer responsible||Lise Thériault, Ministre de la Sécurité publique|
The force has suffered two high-profile officer deaths in the line of duty in recent years. Constable Valerie Gignac, 25, was shot and killed shortly after arriving on the scene of an argument in Laval-des-Rapides on December 14, 2005. The suspect, Francois Pepin, had a history of mental illness, and owned a hunting rifle despite the fact he was under a firearms ban. He was known to police and had been charged before the incident with stalking another female constable. He was charged with first-degree murder in accordance with Canadian law, which stipulates this as the automatic charge in response to killing a police officer. He is awaiting trial.
On March 2, 2007, the force suffered a second loss when Constable Daniel Tessier was killed while executing a drug raid in the city of Brossard. Tessier, who was a 17-year veteran of the force, had joined the drug squad a few days prior to his death. His alleged killer, Basil Parasiris, was charged with first-degree murder but maintained that he was unaware it was a police raid and that he was acting in self-defence. He was acquitted on June 13, 2008, for reason of self-defence .
The head of the force is Chief Pierre Brochet.
The rank structure and current strength is:
- Chef de police (Chief of Police) (1)
- Brigadier en chef principal (Principal Chief Brigadier) (1)
- Brigadier en chef (Chief Brigadier) (1)
There are six postes de quartier (community police stations) situated across the city of Laval:
- CPS/PDQ 1 - Saint-François, Saint-Vincent-de Paul and Île Duvernay
- CPS/PDQ 2 - Pont-Viau, Duvernay, Laval-des-Rapides
- CPS/PDQ 3 - Chomedey
- CPS/PDQ 4 - Laval-West, Laval sur le lac and Sainte-Dorothée
- CPS/PDQ 5 - Sainte-Rose and Fabreville
- CPS/PDQ 6 - Vimont et Auteuil
- "Suspect surrenders after Quebec police officer slain," CBC News, December 14, 2005.
- "Laval police officer shot during drug raid dies," CTV News, March 2, 2007.
- "Woman cuffed for not holding escalator handrail," Globe and Mail, May 16, 2009.