November 26, 1981
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
|Other names||The Polish Pistola|
|Residence||Tempe, Arizona, United States|
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
|Reach||76.0 in (193 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Apache Junction, Arizona, United States|
|Team||Power MMA and Fitness|
|Rank||Blue belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Fracisco "Kiko" France|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Seth Baczynski (born October 26, 1981) is an American mixed martial artist currently competing as a Welterweight in the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional competitor since 2006, he has formerly competed for the Tucson Scorpions of the IFL and was a cast member of Spike TV's The Ultimate Fighter: Team Liddell vs. Team Ortiz.
- 1 Mixed martial arts career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Championships and achievements
- 4 Mixed martial arts record
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Mixed martial arts career
Baczynski began fighting in 2006, making his debut at a Rage in the Cage event. Baczynski lost the fight to Shane Johnson via kneebar submission in round one. Baczynski bounced back from the loss and won three straight fights, all for Rage in the Cage.
International Fight League
He then signed a contract with the International Fight League. He debuted for the promotion against Brent Beauparlant, losing via decision. He was given a second chance, and fought Dan Molina. The fight ended with Baczynski, again, on the losing end. Baczynski was released from the IFL after the loss.
Baczynski obtained a 7–1 record after being released from the IFL. He then fought up and comer Roger Bowling, losing by vicious KO only nine seconds into round one. Baczynski won a fight against Tom Nguyen at a Wild Bill's Fight Night event. He was then selected to be a part of The Ultimate Fighter.
The Ultimate Fighter
Baczynski was selected as one of the 28 competitors for the eleventh season of the Ultimate Fighter. To get onto the show and become one of the 14 fighters, Baczynski had to fight Court McGee. After three rounds, the judges awarded the win to McGee, sending Baczynski home.
After a fighter was injured and forced out of the competition, Baczynski was given the injured fighter's spot. In his first fight back he fought Team Liddell's last pick, Joseph Henle. Baczynski won the fight via three round unanimous decision and moved onto the quarter-final round.
In the quarter-final round, Baczynski faced rival team member and friend Brad Tavares. As the first round ended, Baczynski threw an illegal soccer kick to the head of Tavares. Baczynski immediately apologized, knowing he could have seriously hurt Tavares, who went to his corner and slumped. After discussing the matter with the doctors, Herb Dean stopped the fight and Tavares was declared the winner by disqualification, advancing him to the semi-finals.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Baczynski made his UFC debut in a rematch against Brad Tavares at The Ultimate Fighter: Team Liddell vs. Team Ortiz Finale. After three close rounds, Baczynski lost the fight via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).
Due to his loss to Tavares, Baczynski was subsequently released from the UFC.
Soon after being released from the UFC, Baczynski was reportedly signed by Strikeforce and was scheduled to make his promotional debut at ShoMMA 10: Riggs vs. Taylor against Erik Apple. However, Apple was forced to pull out of the fight and a replacement was not named.
He then fought UFC and WEC veteran, Tim McKenzie, at Tachi Palace Fights 7. The fight was ended after Baczynski escaped from a near fight ending armbar submission hold, which ended up breaking his arm, and knocked McKenzie out with elbows. McKenzie appealed the result to the CSAC.
Return to UFC
Baczynski next faced Simeon Thoresen on September 22, 2012 at UFC 152. Baczynski was surprisingly being out struck by Thoresen throughout the fight until he landed a big punch that instantly knocked Thoresen out late in the first round.
Baczynski was expected to face Kyle Noke on December 15, 2012 at UFC on FX 6. However, Noke pulled out of the bout citing a shoulder injury and was replaced by Mike Pierce. He lost the fight via unanimous decision.
Baczynski faced Thiago Alves on April 10, 2014 at UFC on Fox 11. He lost the fight via unanimous decision. Despite the loss, this fight earned Baczynski his first Fight of the Night bonus award.
Baczynski faced promotional newcomer Alan Jouban on August 16, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 47. He lost the back-and-forth fight via knockout in the first round. Despite the loss, Baczynski earned his second consecutive Fight of the Night bonus award.
Baczynski is married and has five children. Aside from fighting, he has a job as a utilities worker.
Championships and achievements
Mixed martial arts
- Ringside MMA
- Interim Ringside Welterweight Championship (One time)
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|31 matches||19 wins||12 losses|
|Loss||19–12||Alan Jouban||KO (punch)||UFC Fight Night: Bader vs. St. Preux||August 16, 2014||1||4:33||Bangor, Maine, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||19–11||Thiago Alves||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Werdum vs. Browne||April 19, 2014||3||5:00||Orlando, Florida, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||19–10||Neil Magny||Decision (unanimous)||UFC: Fight for the Troops 3||November 6, 2013||3||5:00||Fort Campbell, Kentucky, United States|
|Loss||18–10||Brian Melancon||KO (punches)||UFC 162||July 6, 2013||1||4:59||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||18–9||Mike Pierce||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on FX: Sotiropoulos vs. Pearson||December 15, 2012||3||5:00||Gold Coast, Australia|
|Win||18–8||Simeon Thoresen||KO (punch)||UFC 152||September 22, 2012||1||4:10||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Win||17–8||Lance Benoist||Decision (split)||UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall||June 8, 2012||3||5:00||Sunrise, Florida United States|
|Win||16–8||Matt Brown||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 139||November 19, 2011||2||0:42||San Jose, California United States|
|Win||15–8||Clay Harvison||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Shields vs. Ellenberger||September 17, 2011||2||1:12||New Orleans, Louisiana United States|
|Win||14–8||Alex Garcia||KO (punches)||Ringside 10: Cote vs. Starnes||April 9, 2011||2||2:44||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||Won Interim Ringside Welterweight Championship.|
|Win||13–8||Tim McKenzie||TKO (elbows and punches)||Tachi Palace Fights 7||December 2, 2010||1||2:15||Lemoore, California, United States|
|Loss||12–8||Brad Tavares||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale||June 19, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Middleweight bout.|
|Win||12–7||Tom Nguyen||Submission (guillotine choke)||Wild Bill's Fight Night 23||October 30, 2009||2||1:32||Duluth, Georgia, United States|
|Loss||11–7||Roger Bowling||KO (punches)||MMA Big Show: Retribution||March 7, 2009||1||0:09||Vevay, Indiana, United States|
|Win||11–6||James Warfield||KO (flying knee and punches)||Evolution MMA||October 4, 2008||1||1:21||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
|Win||10–6||Oscar Montano||Submission (triangle choke)||Mexican Fighting Championship||September 20, 2008||1||1:30||Puerto Penasco, Mexico|
|Win||9–6||Antonio Grant||KO (punch)||Silver Crown Fights||August 8, 2008||1||0:11||Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States|
|Loss||8–6||Donnie Liles||Submission (anaconda choke)||Warriors Collide 4||July 19, 2008||1||2:01||Colorado, United States|
|Win||8–5||Eddie Arizmendi||Submission (triangle choke)||Rage in the Cage 111||June 7, 2008||2||2:03||Arizona, United States|
|Win||7–5||Jordan Pergola||Submission (triangle choke)||XFC 3: Rage in the Cage||March 2, 2008||1||N/A||Tampa, Florida, United States|
|Win||6–5||Kito Andrews||Submission (triangle choke)||Full Moon Fighting||February 23, 2008||3||3:50||Sonora, Mexico|
|Win||5–5||Chris Kennedy||TKO (punches)||Tuff-N-Uff: Thompson vs. Troyer||February 1, 2008||1||2:50||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||4–5||Dan Molina||Submission (heel hook)||IFL: Las Vegas||June 16, 2007||1||1:32||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||4–4||Brent Beauparlant||Decision (unanimous)||IFL: Connecticut||April 13, 2007||3||4:00||Uncasville, Connecticut, United States|
|Win||4–3||Seth Ballantine||Submission (armbar)||RITC 89: Triple Main Event||December 2, 2006||2||1:18||Scottsdale, Arizona, United States|
|Win||3–3||Travos Degrout||Submission (choke)||RITC 84: Celebrity Theatre||July 1, 2006||1||N/A||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
|Win||2–3||Johnathan Tsosie||Submission (choke)||RITC 80: Fight Night at The Fort||March 18, 2006||1||1:32||Fountain Hills, Arizona, United States|
|Loss||1–3||Shane Johnson||Submission (kneebar)||RITC 79: The Rage Returns||February 2, 2006||1||2:29||Tucson, Arizona, United States|
|Loss||1–2||Gabriel Flores||Submission (choke)||RITC 76: Hello Tucson||November 11, 2005||3||1:56||Tucson, Arizona, United States|
|Win||1–1||Robert King||TKO (retirement)||RITC 75: Friday Night Fights||September 30, 2005||1||0:35||Glendale, Arizona, United States|
|Loss||0–1||Ryan Potter||Submission (choke)||RITC 73: Arizona vs. Nevada||August 6, 2005||1||1:18||Glendale, Arizona, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Werdum vs. Browne". UFC.com. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- "Seth "Polish Pistola" Baczynski - Official UFC Fighter Profile". UFC.com. Retrieved August 16, 2014.
- "TUF 11 Finale prelims include Tavares vs. Baczynski, Camozzi vs Hammortree". MMAJunkie.com. June 9, 2010. Retrieved June 20, 2010.
- Whitman, Mike (2011-03-10). "Champ Injured, Ringside Sets Interim WW Title Bout for April 9". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "UFC Fight Night 25 Update: Johnson Out, Baczynski In". mmaweekly.com. August 31, 2011.
- "After injuries, Brown-Baczynski at UFC 139". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved August 31, 2011.
- "Seth Baczynski vs. Lance Benoist targeted for UFC on FX 3". mmajunkie.com. March 28, 2012.
- "Seth Baczynski vs. Simeon Thoresen added to UFC 152 in Toronto". mmajunkie.com. July 24, 2012.
- "Kyle Noke meets Seth Baczynski at UFC on FX 6 in Australia". MMAjunkie.com. October 11, 2012.
- "Mike Pierce replaces Kyle Noke, meets Seth Baczynski at UFC on FX 6". mmajunkie.com. October 31, 2012.
- Staff (2013-03-12). "Baczynski vs. Melancon added to July's UFC 162 event". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- Staff (2013-08-22). "Seth Baczynski vs. Neil Magny set for 'Fight for the Troops 3' at Fort Campbell". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
- Henderson, Jason (7 February 2014). "Thiago Alves Returns To Fight Seth Baczynski At UFC On FOX 11". Fight of the Night. Retrieved 8 February 2014.
- Matt Erickson (2014-02-06). "Thiago Alves returns at UFC on FOX 11, meets Seth Baczynski in Orlando". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- Staff (2014-04-19). "UFC on FOX 11 bonuses: Cerrone, White, Alves, Baczynski win $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-19.
- Staff (2014-07-08). "Seth Baczynski-Alan Jouban Welterweight bout added to UFC Fight Night in Maine". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2014-07-08.
- Staff (2014-08-17). "UFC Fight Night 47 bonuses: Boetsch, Thiago Tavares, Jouban, Baczynski win $50,000". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-08-17.
- Staff (2015-01-27). "Seth Baczynski vs. Leon Edwards booked for UFC Fight Night 64 in Poland". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-01-27.
- Seth Baczynski on UFC.com
- Seth Baczynski on Twitter
- Ultimate Fighter Profile
- Professional MMA record for Seth Baczynski from Sherdog