Sethurama Iyer CBI
|Sethurama Iyer CBI|
|Directed by||K Madhu|
|Produced by||K Madhu|
|Written by||S N Swami|
|Distributed by||Krishnakripa Films|
|Budget||30 million (US$480,000)|
|Box office||190 million (US$3.0 million)|
This film is the third in the series of the CBI investigative thrillers featuring Mammootty as CBI officer Sethurama Iyer. Prequels to this film are Oru CBI Diary Kurippu (1988) and Jagratha (1989). There was one sequel Nerariyan CBI (2005). A fifth sequel Veendum CBI in the franchise has been announced and is now in the pre-production stage.
The film was a box-office blockbuster.
The movie begins with Sethurama Iyer Mammooty visiting Isow Alex (Kalabhavan Mani), a convicted serial killer who is awaiting his execution. Alex was arrested and convicted for the cold-blooded murder of seven people in two different families. Alex, who had been living a wild life then, had committed the crime high on narcotic drugs. The murder case was left to the CBI for investigation and an able officer, played by Siddique, nabbed Alex in no time. Alex is now a new man, mainly due to the influence of a priest (Gopi), who requests Iyer to visit Alex.
What Alex tells Iyer is startling; he didn't commit one of the seven murders he was convicted for. The murder was that of Manikkunju, a businessman. Manikkunju, along with his daughter-in-law Mosi, was murdered at his house. Alex tells this all the same confessing that he murdered Mosi. The possibility of another killer involved is very remote and Alex is a serial killer who thoroughly denied any hand in the murders when he was arrested, but yet Iyer decides to reopen the case and investigate. He faces many odds; to prove Alex right would be proving his own bureau wrong and to prove Alex wrong would be wasting time and money.
The CBI team which consists of Iyer, Chacko (Mukesh) and Ganesh (Vineeth Kumar), an officer trainee retraces the path of the previous team which investigated the crime. The clue which pointed to Alex was the word ISOW (Alex's first name) which was found written in blood on the wall near which Mankkunju's body was found. The earlier team had concluded that the word was written by Manikkunju with his own blood, while he was dying of the head injury inflicted by Alex's strike with a pipe wrench, the weapon used by him to commit all the murders.
The twist in the tale arrives when Iyer finds that the name written by the dying Manikkunju to point to his killer is not ISOW, but MOSI. The position in which Manikkunju was lying on the floor resulted in his writing to appear flipped horizontally and vertically. This points to Mosi, Manikkunju's daughter-in-law, who was murdered by Alex. Iyer feels that Mosi alone could not have done the crime on her own. His search for an accomplice leads him to Manikkunju's family tailor (Jagadish), who incidentally was on the forefront of the public demand for a CBI investigation on the case. The tailor had an illicit relationship with the widowed Mosi, and he had struck Manikkunju to death with his metallic flashlight following a struggle when Manikkunju caught him red-handed. As with all the movies of the series, Iyer concludes the case at the scene of crime with the public gathered to find out the culprit. He casually picks out the tailor from the crowd and charges him with the murder, much to the surprise of the viewers as the clues are unravelled only after Iyer makes his arrest. Jagathy Sreekumar, who was part of the original CBI team in Oru CBI Diarykkurippu, makes a cameo appearance near the end of the film, with his trademark in-disguise modus operandi, helping Iyer to connect some links in the case.
- Mammootty as Sethurama Iyer
- Mukesh as Chacko
- Jagathy Sreekumar as Vikram
- Vineeth Kumar as Income Tax Inspector in CBI Ganesh
- Kalabhavan Mani as Isow Alex
- Sai Kumar as DSP Satyadas
- Jagadish as Mani, a tailor
- Mala Aravindan as Mathai
- Bharath Gopi as Fr. Gomez
- Navya Nair as Rachana, Sethurama Iyer's niece
- Nandhana as Resmi, Sethurama Iyer's niece
- Siddique as Balagopal IRS CBI officer
- Oduvil Unnikrishnan as Adiyodi
- Janardhanan as Ouseppachan
- Sreenath as Sunny
- Rajan P.Dev as Baahuleyan
- Geetha Vijayan as Mosi
- Adoor Bhavani as the maid of Ouseppachan (reprising the character which she played in Oru CBI Dairy Kurippu)
The movie was a superhit at the boxoffice also maded a good outing in Tamil Nadu too.The movie totally grossed 19cr at boxoffice.also racked 90 million distributive share.
- Originally, the CBI officer in the film Oru CBI Diary Kurippu was supposed to be a rough-and-tough cop named Ali Imran. It was Mammootty who suggested that a simple-looking brahmin who uses his brains more than his brawn would be a better idea.
- Blockbuster of 2004
- The storyline of an accused serial killer confessing that he didn't commit one of the crimes is strikingly similar to the plot of the novel Detective (novel) by Arthur Hailey
- ""CBI" creates history!". Moviebuzz. Sify Movies. 4 February 2004.
- People News 4 January 2011
- Pillai, Sreedhar (22 July 2005). "I want to play lead roles". Friday Review: Stories. The Hindu.
- "Never Say Never Again". Old Story. Indian Express. 3 July 2005.
- ""Investigation stories are universal" : Mammootty". Moviebuzz. Sify Movies.