Settle for a Slowdown
|"Settle for a Slowdown"|
|Single by Dierks Bentley|
|from the album Modern Day Drifter|
|B-side||"I Love My Life" (Jamie O'Neal)|
|Released||January 24, 2006|
|Writer(s)||Brett Beavers, Tony Martin, Dierks Bentley|
|Producer||Brett Beavers, Dierks Bentley|
|Dierks Bentley singles chronology|
"Settle for a Slowdown" is the title of a song co-written and recorded by American country music singer Dierks Bentley. It was released in January 2006 as the third and final single from his album, Modern Day Drifter. The song reached the top of the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart. It is Bentley's third number-one single on the country charts. It was written by Bentley with Brett Beavers and Tony Martin.
The song is a mid-tempo ballad that paints a picture of a man standing in the rain, watching as his loved one pulls away. He knows he cannot hold her back, but just hopes he will see brake lights indicating that she at least paused for a moment before leaving him behind. Just knowing she hesitated would be a measure of comfort, but it doesn't happen.
In the first verse, he is looking for a "slowdown" from his lover's vehicle while standing in the rain (in other words, "getting soaked to the bone.") All he wants is to see the brake lights flash, just once, to know that she once loved him enough for the slightest hesitation, but she never does.
Deborah Evans Price, of Billboard magazine reviewed the song favorably, saying that the song serves up the theme "with a creative lyric that finds a fresh way of saying what we have all heard before." She goes on to say that Bentley "turns in a beautifully measured, thoughtful performance that oozes hurt tempered with reluctant resignation."
The music video was directed by Chris Hicky and premiered in early 2006. The music video paints a picture of a woman leaving Bentley and their trailer in the desert for Hollywood. Bentley eventually shows up in Hollywood at a mansion and sings the chorus acoustically.
"Settle for a Slowdown" debuted at number 47 on the U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs for the week of January 28, 2006.
|US Billboard Hot 100||42|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||19|
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 196. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Morris, Edward (2006-05-27). "Dierks Bentley's "Slowdown" Paces to No. 1". Country Music Television. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- Billboard, February 11, 2006
- "Dierks Bentley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Dierks Bentley. Retrieved April 4, 2011.
- "Dierks Bentley Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Dierks Bentley. Retrieved April 4, 2011.
- "Best of 2006: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2006. Retrieved July 10, 2012.
by Jason Aldean
|Billboard Hot Country Songs
June 3-June 10, 2006
by Kenny Chesney