February 11, 1861|
Santa Cruz, Manila
|Died||September 15, 1942(aged 81)|
|Pen name||Lola Basyang|
|Language||Tagalog, Spanish, English|
|Alma mater||Colegio de San Juan de Letran, University of Santo Tomas|
|Notable work(s)||Walang Sugat (literally "No Wounds", meaning "not wounded", with the concept of being "unscathed")|
|Children||Jose Reyes and Torcuato Reyes|
Severino Reyes (February 11, 1861 – September 15, 1942) was a Filipino writer, playwright, and director of plays. He used the pen name Lola Basyang. He was nicknamed "Don Binoy". Reyes is known as the "Father of Tagalog Plays" and as the "Father of the Tagalog Zarzuela".
Reyes is one of the children of Andrea Rivera and Rufino Reyes. He was born in Sta. Cruz, Manila. He studied at the Colegio de San Juan de Letran. He started writing plays when he stopped studying at the University of Santo Tomas after the death of his father. He translated Spanish-language plays into the Tagalog language, until he was able to create his own original works. Reyes is one of the followers of plays performed at the Teatro Zorrilla, where he witnessed both the period of popularity and then the abandonment of the said theater house.
• Ang Kalupi
• Walang Sugat
• R.I.P (Requiescat in Pace)
• Mga Bihag ni Cupido
• Ang Tunay na Hukom
• Ang Tatlong Bituin at isang Araw
• Ang Halik ni Hudas
• Cablegrama Fatal
• Puso ng Isang Pilipina
• Ang Bagong Fausto
• Filotea, o Ang Pag-aasawa ni San Pedro
• Opera Italiana
• San Lazaro
° Alamat ng Lamok
Among Reyes' descendants are:
- Pedrito Reyes (Son)
- Efren Reyes, Sr. (Grandson)
- Severino O. Reyes II (Grandson)
- Efren Reyes, Jr. (Great-grandson)
- Severino "Joey" Pineda Reyes III (Great-grandson)
- Danilo Reyes (Great-grandson)
- Benji Reyes (Great-grandson)
- Denita Reyes (Great-granddaughter)
- "Looking Back : Anniversaries". Philippine Daily Inquirer. 5 January 2011. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- Banham, Martin (1995). The Cambridge guide to theatre. Cambridge University Press. p. 852. ISBN 978-0-521-43437-9.
- Asis, Raul. "'Walang Sugat' to be staged, Feb 11-13". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved 27 June 2011.