Sewell, New Jersey
|Sewell, New Jersey|
|Named for||William Joyce Sewell|
|Elevation||66 ft (20 m)|
|GNIS feature ID||0880486|
Sewell (pronounced Sue-ull or Soole) is an unincorporated community within Mantua Township in Gloucester County, New Jersey, United States. Sewell also refers to part of Washington Township. It is named for United States Senator William Joyce Sewell.
Sewell is notable for containing the Inversand marl pit, the last remaining, operational greensand mine in the world. The location has become renowned for its paleontology and is similar to many of the sites studied by early paleontologists, particularly Edward Drinker Cope.
Sewell also contains Gloucester County College and the Gloucester County Institute of Technology. The community is a planned stop on the Glassboro–Camden Line, an 18-mile (28.97 km) diesel multiple unit (DMU) light rail system projected for completion in 2019..
Notable current and former residents of Sewell include:
- Ryan D'Imperio (born 1987), retired NFL fullback who played for the Minnesota Vikings.
- Elwood (born c. 2005, died 11/28/2013), the winner of the World's Ugliest Dog Contest in 2007.
- Tara Lipinski (born 1982), figure skater and celebrity
- John E. Wallace, Jr. (born 1942), an Associate Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court
- John Zandig (born 1971), professional wrestler and promoter.
- Look Up a ZIP Code for Sewell, NJ, United States Postal Service. Accessed March 22, 2012.
- "Sewell". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2012-10-06.
- "Kelly Roncace: What's in name? Sewell", South Jersey Times, January 4, 2012. Accessed via www.nj.com, April 5, 2013.
- DP-1: Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data , United States Census Bureau. Accessed March 22, 2012.
- "Fact Sheet 2013". Glassboro-Camden Line. DVPA & PATCO. Retrieved 2012-04-08.
- Orr, Conor. "Giants FB Ryan D'Imperio, a former Rutgers standout, retires", The Star-Ledger, August 13, 2013. Accessed September 8, 2013. "Giants fullback Ryan D'Imperio, the only true healthy fullback on the roster, told the team he was retiring this morning and was placed on their reserve/retired list.... But according to a person familiar with D'Imperio's situation, the Sewell native wanted to explore some career opportunities outside of the NFL."
- Peters, Sharon. "A purpose in life for 'ugly dog' Elwood, owner", USA Today, December 29, 2008. Accessed December 27, 2012. "She shares her Sewell, N.J., home with eight dogs and five cats — all rescues — some with a history of horrible neglect or abuse, some with special needs."
- Longman, Jere. "THE XVIII WINTER GAMES: FIGURE SKATING -- WOMAN IN THE NEWS; Dynamo on the Ice: Tara Kristen Lipinski", The New York Times, February 21, 1998. Accessed December 26, 2007. "Tara Kristen Lipinski was born in Philadelphia on June 10, 1982, and lived her early years in Sewell, N.J."
- Justice John E. Wallace, Jr., New Jersey Supreme Court. Accessed July 15, 2008.