Sex Lives of the Potato Men
|Sex Lives of the Potato Men|
|Directed by||Andy Humphries|
|Produced by||Anita Overland|
|Written by||Andy Humphries|
|Music by||Super Preachers|
|Editing by||Guy Bensley|
|Distributed by||Entertainment Films|
|Release dates||February 20, 2004|
|Running time||85 min|
Sex Lives of the Potato Men is a British comedy film released in 2004.
The film was condemned by most film critics for being crude and tasteless. The Times review called it "one of the two most nauseous films ever made" Christopher Tookey in The Daily Mail called Sex Lives of the Potato Men "the most shamefully inept, witless and repulsive British comedy that I have ever had the misfortune to see". Writer Will Self, writing for The Evening Standard, called Sex Lives of the Potato Men "mirthless, worthless, toothless, useless", while Johnny Vaughan in The Sun stated in his review "The mind boggles as to how this movie actually got made."  Kevin O'Sullivan in The Daily Mirror called Sex Lives of the Potato Men "one of the worst films ever made". Peter Bradshaw in The Guardian wrote "it's a film which isn't in the slightest bit funny or sexy, and is deeply depressing. It also diminishes the reputation of many excellent TV comics, who are made to look tawdry and naff up there on the big screen in an echoing cinema". It was also controversial in that nearly £1 million of public money from the National Lottery via the UK Film Council was used to fund the project. Nigel Andrews in the Financial Times, criticised the use of Lottery funding for the film.
Years after the film was released, Sex Lives of the Potato Men was still specified by film critics as an unusually bad film. The Birmingham Post described it as "quite possibly the worst film ever made", while The Independent on Sunday stated "Sex Lives of the Potato Men" was "a strong contender for the title of worst film of all time".
- Johnny Vegas as Dave
- Mark Gatiss as Jeremy
- Annette Bentley as Linda
- Julia Davis as Shelley
- Lucy Davis as Ruth
- Evie Garratt as Joan's Mum
- Robert Harrison as Kevin
- Nick Holder as Gordon
- Mackenzie Crook as Ferris
- Dominic Coleman as Tolly
- Barry Aird as Gherkin Man
- Joy Aldridge as Sauna woman
- Jeff Alexander as Bloke in group sex
- Adrian Chiles as Towel man/Poppy's brother
- Amerjit Deu as Doctor
- Justin Edgar as Chip Shop customer
- Huss Garbiya as Beans
- Carol Harvey as Chip Shop Girl 2
- Alfie Hunter as Matthew
- Laurence Inman as Bored Bloke in porn shop
- Jenny Jay as Coma woman/Helen
- Ceris Jones as Bald man
- Helen Latham as Chip Shop Girl
- Kay Purcell as Gloria
- Nicola Reynolds as Poppy
- Kate Robbins as Joan
- Angela Simpson as Vicky
- Nicholas Tennant as Phil
- Betty Trew as Katie
- "Sex Lives of the Potato Men", Review by James Christopher, TimesOnline, 19 February 2004
- Christopher Tookey, Named and Shamed: The World's Worst and Wittiest Movie Reviews from Affleck to Zeta-Jones. Troubador Publishing Ltd, 2010 ISBN 1848765606, (p. 142).
- Critics Pan "Worst Film Ever" Sky News, 23 February 2004. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- Kevin O'Sullivan, The Daily Mirror, March 5th, 2004, (p.14)
- Review: Sex Lives of the Potato Men The Guardian, 20 February 2004. Retrieved 7 October 2013.
- Sex comedy film grant criticised BBC News online. Retrieved 03-02-2007
- Mike Davies, The Birmingham Post, April 24th, 2008 (p.13).
- Matthew Bell, Independent on Sunday, February 8th, 2009, (p. 42).