Sex Tape (film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Jake Kasdan|
|Story by||Kate Angelo|
|Music by||Michael Andrews|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
|Running time||94 minutes|
|Box office||$126.1 million|
Sex Tape is a 2014 American sex comedy film directed by Jake Kasdan and written by Kate Angelo, Jason Segel, and Nicholas Stoller. The film stars Segel, Cameron Diaz, Rob Corddry, Ellie Kemper, and Rob Lowe. The film was released on July 18, 2014, by Columbia Pictures.
Jay (Jason Segel) and Annie (Cameron Diaz) are a couple who have sex at every chance they can get. After having two children, they have fewer opportunities to have sex. While the children are away one night, they try to reignite their sex life. After Jay struggles to get an erection, Annie suggests making a sex tape. They film themselves having sex in every position listed in The Joy of Sex. After Annie asks Jay to delete the tape, he ends up instead inadvertently synchronizing the video to several iPads the couple had given away over time. After failing to get it out of the cloud, they set out to get back all of the gifted iPads, leading to a series of awkward encounters and close calls.
After collecting the iPads and deleting the videos, their neighbor's son threatens to upload their sex tape to YouPorn unless they give him $25,000. After failing to get the money, they break into the YouPorn headquarters and begin to destroy their servers. Their plan is quickly thwarted when an alarm sounds. The owner (Jack Black) and his cronies confront them and threaten to call the police, but agree not to do so in exchange for $15,000 to cover the damage. He also removes their video and explains that all they had to do to have a video removed was send him an e-mail request for such removal. After they have deleted all but one copy of the video, Jay and Annie decide to watch the video once themselves. Afterwards, they take the USB flash drive containing the video and go outside to smash it with a hammer, blend it, burn it with fire, and bury the pieces.
- Cameron Diaz as Annie
- Jason Segel as Jay
- Rob Corddry as Robbie
- Ellie Kemper as Tess
- Rob Lowe as Hank Rosenbaum
- Nat Faxon as Max
- Nancy Lenehan as Linda
- Randall Park as Edward
- Dave "Gruber" Allen as Mailman
- Jack Black as the owner of YouPorn
Sony Pictures acquired the script in June 2011. In late October 2011, Nicholas Stoller was in discussions to direct the film, beating out Mark Waters. Jason Segel was considered for the male part while Reese Witherspoon, Amy Adams, Emily Blunt, Rose Byrne, and Jennifer Garner were all cited for the female part. In March 2012, Jake Kasdan was announced as the director for the film. At the time Cameron Diaz had been named as a possibility for the role of Segel's wife, but she entered negotiations only in April 2013. Principal photography began on September 12, 2013 in Newton, Massachusetts. Hank's house is situated in the western suburb of Weston, Massachusetts.
On March 17, 2014, the first poster and some photos from the film were released, followed by a red band trailer on April 2, 2014 and a green band trailer on April 24, 2014. On June 5, Sony UK released an international trailer of the film.
On May 30, 2014, the film's release date was pushed up from July 25, 2014 to July 18.
The Examining Committee of the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) in India rejected its first version of the film. After some changes, they accepted the film and it was released in the country on August 29, 2014.
The film was released in 2,457 theaters in North America and earned $1.1 million in its opening Thursday evening showings. In its opening weekend, the film grossed $16.4 million, finishing in 4th behind Dawn of the Planet of the Apes ($36.2 million), as well as fellow newcomers The Purge: Anarchy ($29.8 million) and Planes: Fire & Rescue ($17.5 million). The film topped the UK box office in its opening weekend with a gross of £1.43 million. It dropped to number 4 in its second week grossing £673,478.
As of September 17, 2014, Sex Tape has grossed $38.4 million in America and $61 million in other territories for a total gross of $108.9 million, against its $40 million budget.
Sex Tape received generally negative reviews from critics. It holds a 18% rating on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 124 reviews with a rating average of 4.1/10. The consensus states: "With neither the conviction to embrace its smutty premise nor enough laughs to function as a worthwhile rom-com, the flaccid Sex Tape suffers from cinematic impotence." On Metacritic, based on 36 critics, the film has a 36 out of 100 rating, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
- "SEX TAPE (15)". Sony Pictures Releasing. British Board of Film Classification. July 14, 2014. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Fleming, Mike (June 3, 2011). "Sony Pictures Pays Big Bucks To Buy ‘Sex Tape’". Deadline.com. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- Sneider, Jeff (October 27, 2011). "‘Sex Tape’ lures Segel, Stoller". Variety. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- Kit, Borys (March 21, 2012). "Jake Kasdan to Direct Sony Comedy 'Sex Tape'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- Sneider, Jeff (April 18, 2013). "Cameron Diaz in Early Talks to Make ‘Sex Tape’ With Jason Segel (Exclusive)". The Wrap. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "Cameron Diaz shooting ‘Sex Tape’ in Newton". bostonglobe.com. 11 September 2013. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- "Cameron Diaz, Jason Segel to shoot ‘Sex Tape’ in Newton". wickedlocal.com. 9 September 2013. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- "‘Sex Tape’, starring Cameron Diaz and Jason Segel, is filming in Newton, MA this week". onlocationvacations.com. 10 September 2013. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- "SEX TAPE - Movie Production Notes". Cinemareview.com. Retrieved August 8, 2014.
- "A New Poster Has Cameron Diaz and Jason Segel Trying to Hide Their Sex Tape". comingsoon.net. 17 March 2014. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Pirrello, Phil (31 March 2014). "Cameron Diaz, Jason Segel Get Busy in First ‘Sex Tape’ Red-Band Trailer". thewrap.com. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- Anderton, Ethan (24 April 2014). "Green Band Trailer for Jason Segel & Cameron Diaz's New 'Sex Tape'". firstshowing.net. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Anderton, Ethan (5 June 2014). "Cameron Diaz & Jason Segel Are Just Goofy in UK 'Sex Tape' Trailer". firstshowing.net. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "Sony Shifts ‘Sex Tape’ Release To July 18". deadline.com. 30 May 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2014.
- Anderton, Ethan (19 June 2014). "Jason Segel & Cameron Diaz in One Final 'Sex Tape' Red Band Trailer". firstshowing.net. Retrieved 20 June 2014.
- Lalwani, Vickey (August 6, 2014). "CBFC rejects 'Sex Tape' starring Cameron Diaz and Jason Segel in India". Times of India. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "Sex Tape (2014) Release Info". http://www.imdb.com/?ref_=nv_home. August 21, 2014. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
- "No sex in 'Sex Tape'!". Mid-day. 26 August 2014. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- Lang, Brent (July 18, 2014). "‘Sex Tape’ Attracts $1.1 Mil, ‘Purge: Anarchy’ Scares Up $2.6 Mil at Thursday Box Office". variety.com. Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- Sex Tape caper crowns UK box office. BBC News
- The Boxtrolls stop-motion 3D animation tops UK box office. BBC News
- "Sex Tape". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved August 6, 2014.
- "Sex Tape Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved July 26, 2014.
- Sex Tape at the Internet Movie Database
- Sex Tape at Box Office Mojo
- Sex Tape at Rotten Tomatoes
- Sex Tape at Metacritic