Sex and Religion (book)
|Sex and Religion|
|Author||Dag Øistein Endsjø|
|Original title||Sex og religion. Fra jomfruball til hellig homosex|
Sex and Religion, subtitled in English Teachings and Taboos in the History of World Faiths, is an extensively translated book on the historical and contemporary relationship between sex and religion written by scholar of religion Dag Øistein Endsjø. It was originally released in Norway in 2009, under the title Sex og religion. Fra jomfruball til hellig homosex, receiving generally very positive reviews. The book is also published in English, Bulgarian, Italian, Polish, Serbian, and Swedish.
The book is a detailed guide to the ways in which faiths have sought to repress or celebrate as well as codify almost every kind of sexual relationship and act. It examines how various religions define sex, how they look at various forms of celibacy, masturbation, heterosexuality, homosexuality, interracial sex, sex between gods and humans and between gods, ritual sex, the religiously perceived consequence of sex, and how various faiths prioritize or downgrade various rules in connection with other rules.
As practically all forms of sex, or lack of it, are at the same time both prohibited and condoned in some religious tradition, it is impossible to identify a natural connection between sex and religion, beyond that each and every religion insists on their view on sex being the eternal answer.
- Sex og religion. Fra jomfruball til hellig homosex Universitetsforlaget (2009)
- Wehus, Walter N. (27 April 2009). "Engler, sex og demoner" (in Norwegian). forskning.no. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- Meland, Astrid (22 May 2009). "Kvinner som gnikker" (in Norwegian). Dagbladet. Retrieved 17 October 2011.
- “One can only be — yes, the only word is impressed”, “a great academic achievement” Frode Nyeng “En uslåelig kombinasjon” in Morgenbladet 4. September 2009; “Transmission of knowledge at its best”, “Årets leseopplevelse” in Adresseavisen 21. December 2009; “An enormous database of knowledge, all recounted in a cool, laconic tone” Fartein Horgar “Hellig og blasfemisk i senga” in Adresseavisen 14. December 2009; “Easy to read and actually entertaining” Geir Winje “Religion og sex” in Tønsberg Blad 29. April 2009; “Very interesting and full of knowledge” Jill M. Loga “Offentlig utenomsnakk” in Prosa number 5, 2009; “An entertaining nonfiction book” Helene Lindqvist “Kuriøst, men aktuelt” in Bergens Tidende 15. June 2009.
- Sex and Religion. Teachings and Taboos in the History of World Faiths. Reaktion Books (2011).
- Даг Ойстейн Ендсьо. Сексът и религията. Персей/Perseus 2012.
- Tra sesso e castità. Un viaggio fra dogmi e tabù nelle religioni del mondi. Odoya (2012).
- Seks a religia. Od balu dziewic po święty seks homoseksualny. Czarnaowca (2011).
- Seks i religia. Karpos (2010).
- Sex och religion. Från kyskhetsbal till heligt homosex. Norstedts (2011).