|Single by Ne-Yo|
|from the album In My Own Words|
|B-side||"Sign Me Up"|
|Released||June 26, 2006|
|Format||CD single, maxi single|
|Writer(s)||Shaffer Smith, Mikkel S. Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen|
|Certification||2x Platinum (RIAA)|
|Ne-Yo singles chronology|
"Sexy Love" is the fourth and final U.S. single and the second and final international single released from R&B artist Ne-Yo's debut album, In My Own Words. It has reached number seven on the Billboard Hot 100. In the United Kingdom, the single charted at number 21 on downloads alone. It rose 16 places and peaked at number five once the physical single was released.
Unlike his previous song "So Sick", "Sexy Love" describes a man's feelings towards his girlfriend and that he is deeply in love with her that he's somewhat addicted to her, and that there's nothing better he'd rather do than to be with his girlfriend. The song was best R&B song in the Asian and African charts in 2007. It is often compared to So Sick in the sense that there is a huge difference in contrast between the two. Ne-Yo performed the song on the July 6, 2006 episode of So You Think You Can Dance. On June 27, 2006 he also performed it at the 2006 BET Awards.
A remix of the song was made, featuring Candace Jones. Another remix was featuring Roc-A-Fella artist Tru Life. There is also a remix to the song that features rapper Joe Budden as well as a version that features rapper Juelz Santana done by multi-artist deejay also Phoenix rapper himself City Boy.
The clip is mainly supposed to demonstrate that because he is completely in love with his girlfriend, he'd rather spend the whole day with her, thus disconnecting himself from the world around him (thus referring to the verse in the song, "And I just can't think of anything else I'd rather do; Than to hear you sing, sing my name the way you do").
Ne-Yo's character's disconnection with the world is demonstrated through his lack of concern or deliberately ignoring the eviction notices he receives throughout the music video (in which are slid under his door). It is not clearly explained why he is being evicted; since Ne-Yo doesn't seem to be working or going much of anyplace, failure to pay the bill is most likely the reason.
Formats and track listings
- UK CD
- "Sexy Love" (Album version) 3:40
- "So Sick" (Acoustic version As Heard On Radio 1's Jo Whiley Show) 3:02
- Maxi Single
- (Island Def Jam / UMG / 06025-1703580-5)
- "Sexy Love" 3:40
- "Sexy Love" (Acoustic) 3:33
- "Sign Me Up" 3:27
- "Sexy Love" [Video]
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||3|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||12|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||28|
|Hungary (Single Top 40)||13|
|Hungary (Dance Top 40)||31|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||42|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||8|
|Slovakia (Rádio Top 100)||23|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||29|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||5|
|US Billboard Hot 100||7|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||1|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||11|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Gold||7,500*|
|United States (RIAA)||2× Platinum||2,700,000*|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Sexy Love (UK 2 Track) - Single by Ne-Yo". iTunes.
- http://www.fox.com/dance/ Fox.com Retrieved on 05-08-07
- "Australian-charts.com – Ne-Yo – Sexy Love". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- "Ultratop.be – Ne-Yo – Sexy Love" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- "Ultratop.be – Ne-Yo – Sexy Love" (in French). Ultratip. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- "Lescharts.com – Ne-Yo – Sexy Love" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- "Chartverfulgong > Ne-Yo > Sexy Love – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Single (track) Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Dance Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Ne-Yo – Sexy Love" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- "Charts.org.nz – Ne-Yo – Sexy Love". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200636 into search. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- "Swisscharts.com – Ne-Yo – Sexy Love". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- "Ne-Yo: Artist Chart History" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- "Ne-Yo Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Ne-Yo. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- "Ne-Yo Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Ne-Yo. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- "Ne-Yo Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Ne-Yo. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- THE FIELD id (chart number) MUST BE PROVIDED for NEW ZEALAND CERTIFICATION.
- "American single certifications – Ne-Yo – Sexy Love". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH