||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (July 2013)|
|Type||Social networking service|
|Founder(s)||Mark Weinstein and Jonathan Wolfe|
|Alexa rank||334,457 (June 2013[update])|
|Type of site||Private Social Network|
|Launched||May 16th, 2012|
Sgrouples, Inc. officially launched its public beta version on May 16, 2012. It offers a variety of features, applications and social network services on its user interface. The platform offers a free custom dashboard that lets members create and interact with private personal groups, invite and manage their contacts on other social networks like Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn and provides a personal storage cloud facility. This aggregation tool aids internet users who have to access and remember usernames and passwords for their separate online networks.
Sgrouples, Inc. was founded in 2011 by Mark Weinstein and Dr. Jonathan Wolf.
Before Sgrouples, Weinstein and Dr. Wolfe Co-founded two social networking websites 'Superfamily.com' and 'Superfriends.com' in 1998, which was recognized as PC Magazine’s "Top 100" sites three times. In 1999 they also created the social networking site 'SuperGroups'.
Weinstein and Dr. Wolfe collectively founded and launched Sgrouples after noticing that users of large social networking platforms, like Facebook, were fatigued due to breaches in their privacy.
The key features of Sgrouples are:
- Private custom-made user groups
- Cloud storage for important documents with My CloudTM (4GB free at sign-up, up to 10GB free with sharing)
- Social network aggregation facility in one user-friendly dashboard
- Shared Event calendars
- Privacy bill of rights - no tracking, no profiling, no sharing of personal information
Currently the main attraction of Sgrouples is its feature of creating Groups for specific sharing purposes. Members can be invited to a group by email address, from social networks, or from other already-created Sgrouples groups. They have different permission levels, including contributor, viewer, limited, or custom.
The Commissioner of Ontario, Canada Dr. Ann Cavoukian, announced Mark Weinstein (The Founder and CEO of Sgrouples), as an Ambassador of Privacy By Design in recognition of his thought and leadership in the field of online privacy and security, and commitment to the principles of Privacy by Design.
Weinstein is also a steering committee member of the White House initiative National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyber Security Alliance (NTICS)
- "Privacy Isn't Dead With Millennials, It's Thriving". Forbes. 2014-01-22. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Sgrouples.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- Sgrouples.com Launches Public Beta- Targets Growing Facebook Fatigue, Business Wire, 16 May 2012
- Fontana, John (2012-08-07). "Will Sgrouples end social networking’s attack on privacy?". ZDNet. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Sgrouples offers social network alternative in wake of NSA/Prism - Silicon Valley Business Journal". Bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2014-02-06.
- "Will Sgrouples end social networking’s attack on privacy?", ZDnet, August 7 2012
- Sarah Jacobsson Purewal @geeklil. "Hands-on with 5 promising private social networks". TechHive. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- "Mark Weinstein: Sgrouples Named to the Online Trust Alliance 2012 Honor Roll in Recognition of Excellence by Msr Com". newsle. 2012-08-21. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- "Mark Weinstein - Privacy By Design". Privacybydesign.ca. Retrieved 2013-12-01.
- "Beach BOOSTER Wasaga Beach by Bill Frieday". ISSUU. Retrieved 2013-12-01.