Shaadi Ke Side Effects
|Shaadi Ke Side Effects|
|Directed by||Saket Chaudhary|
|Produced by||Ekta Kapoor,
|Written by||Saket Chaudhary|
|Distributed by||Balaji Motion Pictures|
|Budget||500 million (US$8.2 million)|
|Box office||700 million (US$11 million)|
Shaadi Ke Side Effects (English: The Side Effects of Marriage) is a 2014 Bollywood romantic comedy film directed by Saket Chaudhary and starring Farhan Akhtar alongside Vidya Balan in lead roles. It is the sequel of 2006 film Pyaar Ke Side Effects. It was released on 28 February 2014. The film is produced by Balaji Motion Pictures and Pritish Nandy Communications. The film is about a young couple who experience many comic events after their marriage. It received mixed reviews from critics.
Siddharth (Farhan Akhtar) and Trisha (Vidya Balan) are a happily married couple until Trisha gets pregnant and things start getting complicated. Sid is not ready for a baby as he is just a struggling music composer, yet lies to Trisha. On his friends' advice, Sid starts reading pregnancy books and following Trisha's daily routine by putting a balloon in his shirt. Finally, Trisha gives birth to a baby girl and starts devoting all her time to the baby. Trisha's mother (Rati Agnihotri) feels that Sid is a careless person and can not take this responsibility, at which Sid makes a desperate attempt to behave like a family man but fails, as on one occasion he takes his baby for a walk but forgets her in the market. Frustrated, Sid ask for help from Trisha's brother-in-law Ranveer (Ram Kapoor), who is a typical family man. Ranveer reveals to him that when he gets frustrated, he makes a business trip excuse and stays in a hotel room to enjoy his life as a bachelor. Sid takes on his idea and starts staying in a hotel, with the excuse of working overnight in studio. But soon he has to cut down his idea, due to an added expense at home as Trisha decides to hire an expensive governess (Ila Arun). Sid, then, without telling Trisha, goes for a cheaper solution by shifting to a shared PG along with Manav (Vir Das), a dope-head bachelor. Sid takes Manav's advice and starts living a carefree life.
Then enters Shekhar (Purab Kohli), a young neighbor, who saves the baby when she gets locked in and thus frequently comes to meet Trisha, which makes Sid jealous. Sid realizes the value of his family when Manav is hospitalized and none of his family or friends are around to take care of him. Filled with guilt, Sid confesses the PG secret to Trisha, who in anger throws him out. Sid seeks Ranveer for advice, only to discover that Ranveer is having an affair. Ranveer confronts Sid by telling him that he has also cheated Trisha by devoting time apart from his family. Sid realizes his mistake & after repeated apologies by Sid, Trisha reveals that she also got involved with Shekhar and is now pregnant. Sid rushes out of the house along with the baby and later he realizes that he should forgive Trisha for their child and also because all these happened because of him and thus forgives Trisha. To which Trisha surprises him by telling that she is not pregnant with Shekhar's child but with their child. Sid and Trisha reunite and start living a happy family life along with their baby.
Towards the end Sid is in the park playing with their two children and giving "Fatherhood Notes" to other fathers in the park. He calls Trisha to give her the good news that a music company has finally asked him to compose a song for their album. Trisha is now a working woman and tells Sid that she will be late because of a deal which needs to be completed. Sid says that he is fine to look after the kids till she returns. As the camera pans out, it shows Trisha relaxing in a hotel room with a glass of wine.
- Farhan Akhtar as Siddharth Roy
- Vidya Balan as Trisha Mallik
- Ram Kapoor as Ranveer
- Vir Das as Manav
- Gautami Kapoor as Aanchal
- Purab Kohli as Shekhar
- Ila Arun as Aunty
- Rati Agnihotri as Trisha's Mother
In pre-release commentary, Biswadeep Ghos said that as a sequel, "One can visualise Farhan as Rahul's Sid, but Vidya as Mallika's Trisha is tough to imagine."
Indian Express says Shubhra Gupta marriage takes two, and the tango here is only from Sid’s perspective : how about showing us what it could be like from Trisha’s ?. Sneha May Francis writes Saket’s narrative slumps innumerable times over the two-hour-and-twenty-five-minutes screen time. Critic Subhash K. Jha gave the film 4 stars out of 5 and states that, "A warm, funny , thought-provoking take on the man –woman equation, director Saket Choudhary gets it bang-on." Madhureeta Mukherjee of The Times of India gave the film 3.5/5 and states that, "Single or married, this film will have more of a 'special effect' than 'side effect' on you."
Box Office India stated the film started to an average to slow start, "Shaadi Ke Side Effects looks set to collect at premium multiplexes only as collections at even the good multiplexes outside metros the collections are very low,". Box Office India attributed the slow Friday sales to competition from the cricket match. In the second week, the box office collections dropped 85% from the first day collections. According to Box Office India, Friday had a collection of 5.70 cr nett with Saturday showing a 40% increase. Collections dropped by 45% on Monday from its Friday release, collecting 2.85 cr nett, for a four day total of 23.50 crore nett in India. Two week total bought Rs 36 cr.
Overseas, the film went on to become third biggest grosser of 2014, collecting £131,463 in United Kingdom, $582,672 in United States and Canada, $500,000 in Gulf and $145,487 in Australia. Its first weekend total of $17,60,000 is equivalent to 10.9 cr nett.
T-Series acquired the music rights for Shaadi Ke Side Effects. The music director is Pritam Chakraborty and the lyricist is Amitabh Bhattacharya. Mikey McCleary is a guest composer for the track "Ahista Ahista". Mayur Puri wrote the lyrics for the song Vyah Karke Pachhtaya.
|Shaadi Ke Side Effects|
|Soundtrack album by Pritam Chakraborty|
|Released||14 January 2014|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Pritam Chakraborty chronology|
|1.||"Harry's Not a Brahmachari"||Jazzy B, Divya Kumar & Ishq Bector||4:18|
|2.||"I'm Sorry Par Tumse Pyar Ho Gaya (The Hey Song)" (Male)||Nikhil Paul George, Neeti Mohan & Mili Nair|
|3.||"Tauba Main Vyaah Karke Pachhtaya (Hindi)" (Male)||Mayur Puri||Shahid Mallya, Poorvi Koutish & Alam Lohar|
|4.||"Desi Romance" (Female, Male)||Suchi & Arijit Singh|
|5.||"Yahaan Vahaan" (Male)||Farhan Akhtar|
|6.||"Bawla Sa Sapna" (Male)||Mohit Chauhan|
|7.||"Harry's Not a Brahmachari(The Original Song)" (Male)||Jazzy B,[ [Ishq Bector]]|
|8.||"Tauba Main Vyaah Karke Pachhtaya (Punjabi)" (Male)||Mayur Puri||Arif Lohar, Poorvi Koutish, Shahid Mallya & Alam Lohar|
|9.||"Bawla Sa Sapna(The Children Come To Sing)" (Female)||Diva|
|10.||"Yahaan Vahaan (Reprise)" (Male)||Farhan Akhtar|
|11.||"Harry's Not a Brahmachari(remix)" (Male)||Jazzy B & Divya Kumar|
|12.||"Ahista Ahista" (Male)||Farhan Akhtar|
- "'Shaadi Ke...' fares well at the box office". Yahoo.com. Retrieved 4 Mar 2014.
- "Top Ten Worldwide Grossers 2014". Box Office India. 8 May 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- "Vidya Balan turns stylist for Shaadi Ke Side Effects". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 8 January 2014.
- "Movie Poster revealed: Vidya Balan and Farhan Akhtar starrer 'Shaadi Ke Side Effects' looks promising". DNA. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "Farhan, Vidya's Shaadi Ke Side Effects earns Rs. 21 crore at BO". Hindustan Times. Retrieved March 4, 2014.
- Biswadeep Ghosh. "The side effects of sequels". India Today. Retrieved 21 February 2014.
- DNA Web Team (2013-10-28). "Movie Trailer: 'Shaadi Ke Side Effects' starring Farhan Akhtar and Vidya Balan officially released | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis". Dnaindia.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- Aishwarya. "Shaadi Ke Side Effects Music Review". Koimoi.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Bollywood review: Did Vidya Balan and Farhan Akhtar nail it in 'Shaadi Ke Side/Effects'?". Emirates 24/7. 2014-02-27. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Movie Review". skjbollywoodnews.com. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- "Movie Review". timesofindia.com. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- "Shaadi Ke Side Effects only for Multiplex". Boxoffice India. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Shaadi Ke SIde Effects drops 45% on Monday". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- Sanghamitra Mandal (2014-03-04). "Box Office: Shaadi Ke Side Effects Fails To Hit A High Note; Anuradha Just A Shoddy Tear-jerker | Business Insider India". Businessinsider.in. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Boxoffice". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Boxoffice". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Boxoffice". Boxofficeindia.com. 2014-03-15. Retrieved 2014-03-20.
- "Shaadi Ke Side Effects 3rd highest weekend of 2014 in Overseas market". Boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 2014-03-20.