Shabana Akhtar Bakhsh (born 1981) is a Scottish actress of Pakistani descent who has appeared in soaps such as River City and Doctors. Her most recent and best-known role is in Waterloo Road starring as Jasmine Koreshi.
Shabana Akhtar Bakhsh made her acting debut in River City as Zara Malik, who moved to Aberdeen. Her parents are of Pakistani origin. She went on to appear in Ken Loach's Ae Fond Kiss. She became a regular in Doctors as Tasha Verma, who is also a past character. She appeared in Waterloo Road as newly qualified English teacher Jasmine Koreshi. She currently lives in Glasgow. In 2009 travelled around Scottish schools with TAG theatre company in the production "Yellow Moon", a play by David Greig, where she plays the character Silent Leila.
- Waterloo Road - Jasmine Koreshi (2007–2009)
- Taggart - Layla
- Doctors - Tasha Verma
- Ae Fond Kiss - Tahara Khan
- The Afternoon Play - Yasmeela Khan
- River City - Zara Malik
- Taylor, Joanna (3 January 2004). "BBC attacked over Asian plotlines; River City soap star criticises Beeb scriptwriters". The Stage. p. 3.
- Miller, Phil (21 November 2003). "BBC 'scared of Asian actors';Attack on attitudes to River City cast". The Herald.
- Schofield, Kevin (16 November 2007). "Celebrities present the awards". The Herald.
- Houston, Simon (21 November 2003). "My whole Family Has Been Sold Down River". The Sun.
- Brown, Annie (2 July 2010). "They put Mum in a Room and Beat Her...She Came Home All Covered in Blood; Scots Soap Star Tells of Asian Brides' Ordeal at the Hands of In-Laws". Daily Record. pp. 22–23.
- Shabana Akhtar Bakhsh at the Internet Movie Database
- Article about Shabana on the Daily Record website
- Small extract on Ae Fond Kiss article
- Waterloo Road article about her and her character
- Article on Scotsman's website about Shabana
|This article about a British television actor or actress born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Scottish actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|