|Country of origin||USA|
|Running time||60 minutes|
Shadow Chasers is a 1985 American mystery television series created by Brian Grazer and Kenneth Johnson. Thirteen episodes were produced, nine of which were shown on the ABC television network, the remaining four on the Armed Forces Network. It debuted on November 14, 1985, and was produced by Warner Brothers Television.
Shadow Chasers features strait-laced British anthropologist Jonathan MacKensie (played by Trevor Eve), who is blackmailed by his department head, Dr. Julianna Moorhouse (Nina Foch) of the fictional Georgetown Institute Paranormal Research Unit (PRU), into investigating a supposed "haunting" involving a teenage boy (Bobby Fite) in return for a research grant. He paired up with flamboyant tabloid reporter Edgar "Benny" Benedek (Dennis Dugan) in an attempt to short-cut the time involved, and over Moorhouse's objections. Benny and Jonathan did not get along, but managed to solve the case without killing each other. The episodes continued in this vein, with Jonathan and Benny grudgingly learning to respect and admire each other in typical Odd Couple fashion. Only nine episodes were shown in the U.S. Four others were only shown overseas on the Armed Forces network during the original run of the series. The pilot has often rerun on cable, particularly on the Mystery Channel.
The show was the lowest-rated of 106 programs during the 1985-1986 TV season, (due in part to being broadcast in the same time slot as NBC's The Cosby Show and CBS's Magnum, P.I.) averaging only a 5.8/9 rating/share. This competition had been the focus of a series of humorous commercials for the series, starring luminaries of the time as Ricardo Montalban of Fantasy Island and Ron Howard (Brian Grazer's partner in Imagine Entertainment). While heavily advertised during the network's mini-series North and South, the commercials proved to be prophetic, in that the series drew small audiences, and was frequently pre-empted in some markets.
- Dennis Dugan as Edgar 'Benny' Benedek
- Trevor Eve as Dr. Jonathan MacKensie
- Nina Foch as Dr. Juliana Moorhouse
- O'Connor, John J. (November 14, 1985). "'Shadow Chasers' on ABC". The New York Times (New York, NY). Retrieved August 30, 2010.
- Rothenberg, Fred (November 14, 1985). "ABC Tries 'Shadow Chasers' To Combat Cosby And Magnum". The Dispatch (Lexington, NC). p. 24. Retrieved August 30, 2010.
- Buck, Jerry (November 13, 1985). "Dennis Dugan plays writer in 'Shadow Chasers'". The Telegraph (Nashua, NH). Associated Press. p. 48. Retrieved August 30, 2010.
- Holsopple, Barbara (November 13, 1985). "'Shadow Chasers' latest of bad lot as ABC sweeps out management". The Pittsburgh Press (Pittsburgh, PA). p. C12. Retrieved August 30, 2010.
- Kelley, Bill (April 24, 1986). "NBC Top Network in 1985-1986 Nielsens". Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, FL). p. 1E. Retrieved August 30, 2010.
The lowest-rated series, ABC's Shadow Chasers, drew 9 percent.
- Grossi, Mark (May 19, 1986). "Laughs on you; This fall, networks to give viewers what they want: sitcoms". Providence Journal (Providence, RI). p. A11. Retrieved August 30, 2010.
96. Shadow Chasers (ABC) 5.8