Shadow Dancer (film)
|Directed by||James Marsh|
|Produced by||Chris Coen
|Written by||Tom Bradby|
|Music by||Dickon Hinchliffe|
|Edited by||Jinx Godfrey|
|Irish Film Board
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Running time||101 minutes|
Shadow Dancer is a 2012 British-Irish drama film directed by James Marsh and based on the novel of the same name by Tom Bradby who also wrote the film's script. The film premiered at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival and was screened out of competition at the 62nd Berlin International Film Festival in February 2012.
In 1993 Belfast, Colette lives with her mother and brothers, all members of the IRA. In the opening scene, set twenty years earlier, the Troubles result in the death of one of her brothers when they are children. This presumably motivates her in later life. After a failed attack in London, Colette is arrested and offered a choice: either she spends 25 years in jail, and thus losing everything she loves including her young son, or she becomes an informant for MI5, spying on her own family. Colette agrees to do so. An MI5 officer, Mac, is assigned as her handler.
- Clive Owen as Mac
- Andrea Riseborough as Colette McVeigh
- Gillian Anderson as Kate Fletcher
- Aidan Gillen as Gerry
- Domhnall Gleeson as Connor
- Brid Brennan as Ma
- David Wilmot as Kevin Mulville
- Stuart Graham as Ian Gilmour
- Martin McCann as Brendan
Previews before the film's release have been positive, and currently holds a "Fresh" rating of 82%, based on 69 reviews, at Rotten Tomatoes. British film magazine Empire giving it a score of 4 out of 5 stars, calling it "an intelligent and emotionally charged spy drama". The Guardian called it "a slow-burning but brilliant thriller about an IRA sympathiser forced to become an informant by MI5".
- "Shadow Dancer: Box Office Mojo". Box Office Mojo. 2013-01-27. Retrieved 2013-01-27.
- Wise, Damon (2012-01-25). "Sundance 2012: Shadow Dancer – review". berlinale.de (London). Retrieved 2012-08-28.
- "18 World Premieres in the Competition". berlinale.de. 2012-01-20. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- "Shadow Dancer Reviews". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved August 23, 2012.
- "Empire's Shadow Dancer Movie Review". Empire. 2006-12-05. Retrieved 2012-08-08.
- Wise, Damon (January 25, 2012). "Sundance 2012: Shadow Dancer – review". The Guardian (London). Retrieved August 23, 2012.